Old May 19th 14, 04:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Full phase Earth from the lunar surface?

On 5/19/14, 5:28 AM, Robert Clark wrote:
The full Moon sometimes looks huge when it's low on the horizon. I was
wondering if the same effect would occur on the Moon if we saw a full
phase Earth from the lunar surface.
There haven't been many pictures taken from the surface of the Moon that
show the Earth. Here's one:

http://moonpans.com/prints/CernanEarth.jpg

The Earth can look pretty large low on the horizon from lunar orbit even
when not at full phase as shown by this Apollo 11 image taken from orbit:

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/0/10075247.jpg

Are there images taken from the lunar surface either by robots or manned
missions that show the Earth rise at or close to full phase?

Nice article by Dr. Pauls Spudis:

Earth Rising.
Earth as seen from the Moon is always in the same place – true or false?
It depends.
By Paul D. Spudis
May 15, 2014
Quote:
Thus, there are places on the Moon from which we can stand and
contemplate the sheer beauty and magnificence of a slowly rising Earth.
Given the sea change in global perspective provided by the famous
Earthrise picture taken by the Apollo 8 crew almost fifty years ago,
what societal impacts will occur when a human being stands on the lunar
surface and watches the Earth slowly rise above the horizon? I suspect
that a similar shift in planetary perspective will occur. If history is
any guide, such a shift will have profound psychological and political
implications – both positive and negative – in our reach for the stars.
http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pla...#ixzz321FRfV82

I wonder if a Google Lunar X-Prize entrant could land at one of the
locations where Earthrise would be visible.

Bob Clark