Old May 19th 14, 11:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
R Kym Horsell[_2_]

Default Full phase Earth from the lunar surface?

In sci.physics Robert Clark wrote:
The full Moon sometimes looks huge when it's low on the horizon. I was
wondering if the same effect would occur on the Moon if we saw a full phase
Earth from the lunar surface.

The effect might even be larger. Sitting out in the middle of the sky objects
generally have no references we can judge their size by. Closer to
the horizon they seem larger because we then have landmarks and even
the curvature of the horizon to compare their angular size with.

On the Moon, while there may be landmarks, they may be unfamiliar enough
our visual wiring won't react normally to. But they may still cue off
the curvature of the horizon.

Might be a cute set of experiments to try with bits of colored card
and some willing volunteers. Could be a jr science prize winner if
you have kids allergic to volcanic dust.

There haven't been many pictures taken from the surface of the Moon that
show the Earth. Here's one:
http://moonpans.com/prints/CernanEarth.jpg
The Earth can look pretty large low on the horizon from lunar orbit even
when not at full phase as shown by this Apollo 11 image taken from orbit:
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/0/10075247.jpg
Are there images taken from the lunar surface either by robots or manned
missions that show the Earth rise at or close to full phase?
Nice article by Dr. Pauls Spudis:
Earth Rising.
Earth as seen from the Moon is always in the same place ? true or false? It
depends.
By Paul D. Spudis
May 15, 2014
Quote:
Thus, there are places on the Moon from which we can stand and
contemplate the sheer beauty and magnificence of a slowly rising Earth.
Given the sea change in global perspective provided by the famous Earthrise
picture taken by the Apollo 8 crew almost fifty years ago, what societal
impacts will occur when a human being stands on the lunar surface and
watches the Earth slowly rise above the horizon? I suspect that a similar
shift in planetary perspective will occur. If history is any guide, such a
shift will have profound psychological and political implications ? both
positive and negative ? in our reach for the stars.
http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pla...#ixzz321FRfV82
I wonder if a Google Lunar X-Prize entrant could land at one of the
locations where Earthrise would be visible.
Bob Clark

--
[Paul's week-long multi-thread "need for atmosphere to be a black body":]

The subject is "Why do they so much need the atmosphere to be a black body"
-- Paul Aubrin, 16 May 2014

But Paul, black body radiation IS thermal radiation. Try to stay on topic.
-- Tom P, 17 May 2014

Microwave sounding doesn't require the atmosphere to be a black body.
-- PA, 16 May 2014

Well in that case, what are you arguing about? You really are a complete
time-waster.
-- Tom, 17 May 2014