Old February 22nd 04, 09:25 AM
Thad Floryan

Default WalMart Portable Battery Pack?

Davoud wrote in message ...
I made my first-ever visit to a WalMart today to have a look at the
12V, 18AH battery power pack that some folks here have recommended. No
where on the packaging did I see an indication that this is a
deep-cycle battery. Is it? TIA!

If you have the opportunity to pick up (i.e., lift) a deep-cycle battery, you
would know instantly it's "something different". The first one I attempted
to lift off a shelf at Costco really caught me by surprise; it was the same
physical size as a normal auto battery but weighs considerably more due to
the extra-thick lead plates used in its construction. Such deep-cycle batteries
are designed to be operated until they're nearly discharged, then simply charged
up again with no problems or reduced lifetime.

Though I haven't specifically seen a "WalMart 12V 18Ah" battery, just from those
specs I'd guess it's one of many similar auto "jump start" systems whose battery
is typically a gel-cell. All the deep-cycle batteries I've seen are rated
beginning around 80 or so Amp hours and go up from there. The ones I'm using
presently are 80+ Ah and weigh 44 pounds; I've placed them in marine cases I
purchased from Cabelas and you can see the cases he

http://thadlabs.com/ASTRO/POWER/Cabelas_cases+charger.jpg

I find I need to carry them two at a time (for balance) or put them on a hand
truck if a viewing site is a long distance from my vehicle.

I suspect what you saw at WalMart probably resembles what's in this picture
(the red, yellow and black jump-start systems at the left):

http://thadlabs.com/ASTRO/POWER/battery_packs.jpg

noting I've removed the jump-start cabling from most of them for safety in the
field. Those jump-start systems have 17Ah, 18Ah and 19Ah gel-cell batteries
with "Yuasa" (sp?) being the most common manufacturer of the actual batteries.