Old December 28th 06, 05:46 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

Default SRB's not recovered?

wrote in message
ups.com...
the SRBs were recovered from STS-51L.. that's how they could determine
what went so terribly wrong.
I believe STS-4 boosters sunk, but I think all others have been
recovered just fine for later use.

True, but not recovered in the normal way. They found the pieces on the
bottom of the ocean. Don't forget the range safety package was activated,
which opened the casings up with a linear shape charge.

Danny Deger

Dac wrote:
Have there been any SRB's not recovered apart from challenger?

I seem to remember something about pictures of a sinking SRB that didn't
have its chute deploy. If this is true did it float and eventually sink
with
water entering? How quick where they there to take pictures and are these
on
the net anywhere? Also why isn't the chute cut away just before water
landing? Seems like they get tangled and really form a mess for the
divers.