Old December 25th 06, 04:11 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default SRB's not recovered?

Obvious? Yes.. Recovered? YES
The guy was asking if SRBs has been lost, and I was pointing out that
STS-51L's boosters HAD been recovered - obviously not for re-use, but
that wasn't the question.

Brian Gaff wrote:
I think although they were recovered from Challenger, it was pretty obvious
from the video that the joint near the base leaked and melted the bottom
bracket allowing it to pivot and puncture the tank.

I still had sight then.

Brian

Email:

wrote in message
ups.com...
the SRBs were recovered from STS-51L.. that's how they could determine
what went so terribly wrong.
I believe STS-4 boosters sunk, but I think all others have been
recovered just fine for later use.

Dac wrote:
Have there been any SRB's not recovered apart from challenger?

I seem to remember something about pictures of a sinking SRB that didn't
have its chute deploy. If this is true did it float and eventually sink
with
water entering? How quick where they there to take pictures and are these
on
the net anywhere? Also why isn't the chute cut away just before water
landing? Seems like they get tangled and really form a mess for the
divers.