Old November 13th 03, 10:17 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Alan Buttivant" wrote in
:

I am new to astronomy and have been looking at a number of telescopes.
Can someone please advise : What is the definition of "Rich Field
Refractor" ie what does it mean. I havn't been able to find out on the
web.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Regards

AB

It usually refers to a short focal length refractor, which provides a
wide field of view using moderate focal length eyepieces. They are
therefore used for general scanning of the sky (a bit like giant
binoculars) and (unless very expensive) will not be so good for high
magnification planetary or lunar observing. Orion used to sell a scope
called the ST80 which would fit the bill.

Rgds Llanzlan.