Old November 21st 03, 10:44 PM
Bettrel

Default Is 1/4 wave good enough for a rich field?

I agree with those that say go ahead and give it a try. It doesn't sound as if
much money will be involved, so why not try it? Since you're interested in
rich field use, I doubt the optics, in whatever way they are "1/4 wave", will
be much of a problem. Yes... coma will be there, but it seems to bother some
people more than others and what's the harm in building the telescope to find
out whether or not the coma is objectionable. If we all spent our time trying
to figure out on paper or computer what the "perfect telescope" would be and
didn't try any design that didn't fit perfection, how much actual observing
would get done?