Old March 16th 04, 09:26 PM
sts060

Default Further proof gravity is a push...

"Rick Sobie" wrote in message news:U8u5c.814118$ts4.511491@pd7tw3no...
Lets suppose, that the moon, was a Dyson sphere,

It is not a Dyson sphere; that idea is easily disproven by simply
considering what the Earth-Moon system would look like if the Moon
contained a red dwarf star (minimum mass = 0.08 Msolar). This has
been pointed out several times.

Also, you said in the "Hoagland Debunked!" thread

The moon is not a Dyson Sphere, it is a disabled battle planet.

Granted, you are posing a hypothetical case, but I'm curious as to
which you think it is: Dyson sphere or "battle planet"? Have you
decided?

and its power unit failed,
and its orbit began to decay, then it would hit the earth.

No; the Moon is in free fall around the Earth (well, the Earth-Moon
barycenter, which is inside the Earth). No propulsion system keeps it
aloft. In fact, tidal interactions (*not* a fictional repulsive
central force) are forcing it gradually *away from* the Earth.

The gravitational force between the two is given by the equation
F=-GMm/R^2, where G is a positive constant, M = mass of the Earth, m =
mass of the Moon, and R is the distance between the centers of the two
bodies.

The equation indicates the gravitational force is attractive.
When applied to the Moon's motion, the equation describes the observed
physical reality.
Why, then should the gravitational force be described as "pushing"
(i.e., repulsive)?

Then what would happen?

It would bounce a few times, and then finally contact the surface like two
cogwheels grinding the surface to a mushy pulp, and then finally
come to rest. Like two uneven barbells.

Yet we don't see any planets like that do we?

No, we don't. Because planets and their moons don't work that way.