Old October 9th 10, 11:34 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Entwistle[_4_]

Default astronomy "spots" near London

In message , Craven
writes
I live in the centre of London so, now and again, I'm lucky enough to
see 2 stars! :-)

Does anyone have any recommendations of places near London that are
good to go to?

I guess I'm looking for the shortest / easiest possible drive (from
around London Bridge) to get away from the light pollution.

Cheers,

Craven

Hi Craven,

It's always going to be difficult to find good observing conditions
close to London, but on the plus side you do have some great facilities:

Royal Observatory and Planetarium:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/places/royal-observatory/

There's lots going on the Royal Observatory's blog:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/rog/

Greenwich is also home of the Flamsteed Astronomy Society - interesting
events and have several observing locations around London:
http://www.flamsteed.info/

Royal astronomical Society - lots of events and lectures
http://www.ras.org.uk/

Natural History Museum meteorite collection:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curati...ental-collecti
ons/mineralogy-collections/meteorite-collections/meteorite-collection.htm

I know the Planetary Society have a building in Vauxhall too, but don't
know what happens there...

Best wishes,
--
David Entwistle