Old July 21st 06, 11:11 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Satelite eccentricity

Frank wrote:
wrote:
Frank wrote:

It's because the only sattelites that produce
tidal effects are those that are close enough to the primary,
to produce non-negliable atmospheric effects in the primary also.
So the accumulated friction breaking over
bllions of year produces nearly circular oribits,

But all satelites produce a tidal effect. Just as I produce a
gravitational attraction on you.

Whether something produces a gravitional attraction
and a negligable gravitional attraction are two different
issues, which is why I put in the statement '
about billions of years and friction forces,

It might not be a LARGE tidal effect. (The tidal bulge is proportional
-- among other things -- to the mass of the satelite. So the
acceleration on the satelite is proportional to its mass. )

Not when you have a CONSTELLATION of sattelites,
since GPS is not A sattelite.

Second, every satelite causes a tidal bulge on its primary, more

No they don't. Since the GPS constellation are sattelites
of Earth and produce no tidal effect on Earth.