Old July 20th 06, 07:17 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Satelite eccentricity

Frank wrote:
An article in the current Scientific American says that most regular
satelites in th solar system have orbits that are nearly equatorial and
nearly circular. "Equatorial" I can understand "circular" puzzles me.
Please tell me what is wrong with my reasoning.

First, an acceleration at perigee (in the direction of motion) will not
affect the distance at perigee but will increase the distance at
apogee. An acceleration at apogee, on the other hand, will increase the
distance at perigee.

It's because the only sattelites that produce
tidal effects are those that are close enough to the primary,
to produce non-negliable atmospheric effects in the primary also.
So the accumulated friction breaking over
bllions of year produces nearly circular oribits,

Second, every satelite causes a tidal bulge on its primary, more

No they don't. Since the GPS constellation are sattelites
of Earth and produce no tidal effect on Earth.