Old July 20th 06, 06:13 AM posted to sci.astro
William Hamblen

Default Satelite eccentricity

On 18 Jul 2006 09:23:04 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

An article in the current Scientific American says that most regular
satelites in th solar system have orbits that are nearly equatorial and
nearly circular. "Equatorial" I can understand "circular" puzzles me.
Please tell me what is wrong with my reasoning.

One reason for a circular orbit is that it is a minimum energy orbit.
Interactions with other bodies over the long run will tend to cause
the system to settle down in the minimum energy configuration.