Old January 19th 18, 08:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Remark on a comment made

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 11:27:40 PM UTC, Bill wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 03:33:38 GMT, David Goldfarb wrote:

Do you really fail to understand that the "graphics and imaging" you
are always so on about are created, USING the mathematics you decry
as "voodoo" and "bluffing"? Without the mathematics, there would
be no imaging.

Much of his life depends on the very thing loathes; but with his variety
of "logic" - anything goes.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

You guys equate engineering achievements with theory so if I had a euro for every time I heard 'didn't we give you a washing machine, a bomb, a tv' as some sort of pathetic response to astronomical achievements I would be a wealthy man.

I never thought I would have to explain it as the whole thing is self-explanatory - time lapse and sequential imaging aided by additional graphics condenses long term observations into easily understood narratives where analogies can be applied.

http://www.popastro.com/images/plane...ary%202012.jpg

Venus runs its loop of the Sun and for space-age people this is a cinch. How we see it when it is to the left or right of the Sun is also easy and especially the use of the local horizon as a sun shade when the planet is really close to the Sun and darkness hasn't entirely set in.

Why shouldn't the wider population enjoy the spectacle and have a chance to put their position in context of the faster moving inner planets closer to the Sun and the slower moving planets further out. Maybe the pretense of superior and inferior planets, conjunctions and oppositions and any of the other archaic language gives the magnification some type of superiority in his identification hobby but humanity is really ready to take stock of their solar system surroundings.