Old July 19th 17, 11:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default Comment on eclipse

On 19/07/2017 10:58, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
I had a look through the NASA website dedicated to the eclipse -

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/science

Of course there is no relevant information as to where the position
of the inner planets will be as the moon shields the Sun's glare
momentarily so we see whether Mercury is to the left of the Sun and
Venus to the right of the Sun from our slower moving Earth
perspective -

http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

On the 21st August it would suggest that Mercury will just be about
visible whereas there is no such issue with Venus. This is just a
normal judgment that shouldn't raise the slightest objection and
gives a sense of the normalization of heliocentricity but of course
the celestial sphere crowd just don't want to know.

Stellarium will give you a perfectly good simulation of where Mercury,
Mars and Venus will be seen near the sun at totality 21/8/17 if you
choose a suitable location along the path of totality.

Regulus at 2 degrees from the sun will also be notable. Procyon, Sirius
and Betlegeuse should also be prominent in the darkened sky.

Lets hope it is clear sky for the event!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown