Old July 15th 17, 01:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 05:02:14 -0000, wrote:

In sci.physics
wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 23:49:22 -0000,
wrote:

In sci.physics
wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 05:03:36 -0000,
wrote:

In sci.physics
wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 02:11:27 -0000,
wrote:

In sci.physics
wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:45:42 -0000,
wrote:

In sci.physics Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,

says...

I can see a few, very few, people printing junk jewelry, mostly teenage
girls.

Perhaps, but have you been to a craft store in the last 5 years?
They've been selling commercial 2d robotic cutters for many years that
are about the size of an ink-jet printer. The stupid thing shows
absolutely no sign of stopping even though the "cartridges" which
contain the cutting patterns are DRM protected and *very* expensive.
They are mostly used by people who like to do scrap books, but others
use them for making their own greeting cards and etc.

In those same craft stores is a large jewelery making section. Those
"memory bracelets" people make are a hot thing because "every item on it
represents a memory". In other words, these things are already highly
customized.

So, I wouldn't discount the notion that the crafts stores might start
selling very small 3d metal printers for making little dangling things
for jewelery (memory bracelets, necklace charms, and etc.) since this
would drop right into the market-space. They would only need to print
at most 3" x 3" x 3" to cover 99% of the jewelery market.

That same metal printer would sell "big league" at game stores where
custom cast characters for board games are already a huge market. In
other words Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40k, and etc. Even if an
individual player wouldn't want one, every damn game store on the planet
would want at least a couple.

Jeff

By those standards black powder firearms will take over the firearms world.

I'm not saying there is not and will not be a bunch of niche users of
3D printing.

What I am saying is that 3D printing is not going to be the next industrial
revolution.

Personal 3D printing won't be the next industrial revolution. 3D
printing is already revolutionizing engineering.

Nonsense.

3D printing is simply making some prototypes easiery to make.

Just as PCs made prototypes *faster* and easier to design. Rather
revolutionary. Really.

Actually real engineering companies were using CAD software well before
there was such a thing as a PC. Really.

If you define "real engineering companies" as those who could afford
mainframes, sure. Everyone else was using rubylith. Even the IC
guys.

Ever heard of the PDP-8 or the HP CAD workstations that were common well
before the PC?

So no one really used Rubylith? IOW, nonsense.

Not what I said.

The point is that CAD on minicomputers was very minimal. It was the
domain of the mainframe. Rubylith was the tool of choice for the
electronics industry.