Old May 13th 17, 03:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA Announces SLS/Orion Flight Slide

In article om,
says...

On 2017-05-12 17:12, Fred J. McCall wrote:

A bit tough for them to drop plans that they never had.

Read the text opf the press release. It confirms that since February
they were considering making EM-1 crewed. Now that formally end that
consideration.

This "idea" came from the new Administration, not NASA. I'm glad to see
that the engineers and NASA management realized what a monumentally
stupid thing it would be to put people inside a capsule never tested in
space on top of a launch vehicle that had never been flight tested

Yes, I remember that "Orion" has "flown" once, but that Orion test on
Delta IV Heavy was more boilerplate than Orion capsule since it lacked a
service module, real escape tower, and many of the critical internal
systems needed to keep a crew alive. EM-1 is the first test of a
"complete" Orion and even then it will lack certain systems not needed
since it will be uncrewed.

Jeff