Old August 24th 09, 08:55 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Von Fourche

Default Observing Satellites and Jets

"Dan Minge" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 00:17:56 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
.. .

In article ,
Von Fourche wrote:

Hi all! I'm new to observing satellites in the sky.

Welcome, Von! Are you hooked on the hobby yet? :-)

Yep. I went out tonight four times. Once I did not see anything. But
the three other times I spotting things in the air that did not blink,
going
the general direction that showed on Heaven's Above, and appeared around
the
time the were suppose to (give or take thirty seconds or so).

I could clearly tell that the jets had blinking lights. Also I can
see
with binos dark outlines of the jets. But the three non-blinkers I have
believe were satellites because - 1. They did not blink. 2. They were
heading in the general direction that showed on Heaven's Above. 3. They
appeared around the time they were suppose to appear.

Hmm, I thought finding satellites was extremely hard. Using Heaven's
Above and also a nice satellite application for my iTouch, it seems easy,
unless those three tings were jets and not satellites. lol.

Heavens Above is great, but you can't go past Orbitron
which is free. Well, when I say free, it's actually 'cardware'
which means its author, Sebastan Stoff would like a post card
from you.

Go on. Download it and send him a postcard. He'll add you to his
postcard map. :-)

How do I get it to give me future sighting of the ISS? I can get other
satellites but not the ISS for some reason. I really can't explore it till
later this week.