Old May 2nd 05, 04:33 PM
William C. Keel

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in reading the first mention of "dark matter" in
a publication. I understand that Fritz Zwicky was the first the
hypothesize the existence of dark matter, but I am unable to locate the
actual publication. Is there anyone that can help me?

Should be:

Zwicky, F., Helv. Phys. Acta 6 (1933) 110

See astro-ph/9904251.

Zwicky elaborated on this discussion with more data (and perhaps the
first specifically astrophysical virial-theorem arguments) in
On the Masses of Nebulae and of Clusters of Nebulae
Astrophysical Journal, vol. 86, p.217
for which a PDF can be grabbed from
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...ea7e5a30105867

If memory serves, he even used the phrase "dark matter" somewhere in
this one.

Bill Keel