Old September 18th 18, 02:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Solar observatory closed for some kind of "security issue"

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 10:48:32 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Might be related to some cyber security issue. A lot of observatories
like this are on a dedicated, very high speed subnet of the broader
Internet. Maybe somebody used it inappropriately.

Now, that's a possibility I didn't think of: it is a purely civilian scientific
installation, and so it would be less security-conscious, but as it would share
access to the high-speed backbone the Government uses for various things,
including military users, it might be a good location for a spy - or, given no
arrests have resulted yet, also a target for a hacker.

And I suppose that the place would be down if extensive computer forensics were
required - shutting down the facility because of hacking would normally be
unlikely, which was why I doubted that scenario.

John Savard