Old October 5th 11, 02:02 AM posted to sci.space.tech
ed kyle

Default SpaceX fully reusable launcher

On Oct 3, 9:22 pm, byblow wrote:
My guess is the first-stage does a nose-first reentry like the second-
stage, flips over and goes into free fall during most of its descent
through the atmosphere, perhaps using the RCS at the top of the stage
to control its attitude. I'm curious about what altitude SpaceX
envisions firing the center engine for final descent and landing. I
assume only one engine is needed because most of its fuel is spent,
and the second-stage and Dragon are absent.

I suspect that the key to this method is the reduction of reentry
velocity, which would have to occur *before reentry*. The intent
would be to reduce reentry heating, which has destroyed all of the
Falcon stages launched to date, by reducing velocity at the "entry
interface" (or whatever they call it). This requires the engines to
fire well before reentry, probably even before apogee, which would
mean starting them not long after staging. I'm just guessing
though ....

- Ed Kyle

www.spacelaunchreport.com