Old November 10th 09, 01:08 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Dark Horse Challenges Dark Matter to Explain Missing Matter

dlzc wrote:
On Nov 6, 3:26 pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Well, this article isn't talking about "Dark Fluid" but
"Dark Fields". Different theories, though I don't know
what the explanation of Dark Fields are supposed to be
yet. The only explanation is that it is an extension of
MOND to account for cluster deficiencies.

It doesn't fix microlensing, so it is a patch to a flawed model.

I thought that's why they created it?

But getting back to Dark Fluid, why do you say it
violates what we see? Dark Fluid is supposed to be
a complete alternative to MOND, Dark Matter
and Dark Energy, so the fact that it "decays" into
something similar to Dark Matter is exactly what it
was supposed to do at some particular scale.

Then it is Dark Matter, and no solution.

Dark Energy is a repulsive force, Dark Matter an
attractive force, both acting on the same medium
albeit at different scales.

Either that, or Dark Energy is an attractive force at "short" scale,
to provide the local anomalies (non-expansion) from global expansion
due to the cosmological constant.

I think that's the entire point of Dark Fluid, it's the same energy
acting as an attractive force at shorter scales, but as a repulsive
force at greater distances.

Also it's been noted before that the acceleration constant in MOND is
directly linked to the Dark Energy effect range. Though they don't know
quite why that would be.

Those would indicate fluidic behaviour.

Behavior that is disallowed by observation.

What observation is that?

Dark Matter was present at the time the CMBR quenched, and Dark Energy
was too I believe. So it has nothing to do with "being cold", as
distinct from "cooling". But since cooling is an effect of
expansion... the cart is trying to pull itself.

Maybe that's when gravity started breaking?

Yousuf Khan