Old December 9th 17, 05:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Tourist flights

In article ,
says...

Jeff Findley wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
. ..

All that being said, Bigelow may have gone to the Dark Side, having
made a partnership agreement with ULA.

I hadn't heard that. Interesting.

I think they did it because right now Atlas is the only booster that
can put up a B330 module and Bigelow views a partnership as cheaper
than buying launches.

http://www.ulalaunch.com/bigelow-aer...in-forces.aspx

Hmm, had to look it up but yeah apparently the B330 is more massive than I
thought.
That said, does look like Falcon FT (expendable) could handle it now (the
older Falcons definitely couldn't.)

Hmm, this is unfortunate. I'll have to push back my prediction of a fully
private space hotel mission then, if simply because of the cost of the Atlas
V.

Falcon Heavy test flight ought to happen early next year (hopefully
January). Couldn't Falcon Heavy put a B330 into orbit? That may not
help the first B330, but could lower the (delivered) cost of subsequent
modules.

I don't understand why, if an Atlas V can loft it, it couldn't go up
on Delta IV Heavy or Falcon 9 FT. Both of those vehicles can lift
more than Atlas V. Payload fairing?

I'm really not sure. I suppose Atlas V is the only one that can launch
it *right now* since Delta IV Heavy is far too expensive and Falcon
Heavy hasn't been flight tested yet. But, lack of a flight test hasn't
stopped customers from booking flights on Falcon Heavy, repeating the
pattern that occurred with Falcon 9. Far cheaper launches really do
motivate at least a few customers.

At any rate, if it does go up and NASA allows it to be attached to ISS,
it will no doubt result in an increased number of both commercial cargo
and commercial crew flights to ISS. That's good for the industry all
around.

Jeff