Old November 7th 17, 12:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Reused Dragons to start flying this year

In article . com,
says...

On 2017-11-04 11:43, Jeff Findley wrote:

From above:
NASA said the Dragon spaceship assigned to the December launch
is the same capsule that flew to the station in April 2015 and
returned to Earth a month later.

So roughly 6-7 months turn around. Which isn't bad for a capsule that
splashed down in salt water.

I wonder how this will pan out with crewed Dragons. Will they open the
hatch in water to extract crews ASAP (like for Apollo) or will they want
to lift it up and land it on a ship/barge before opening hatch (possible
even rinsing it with fresh water before).

Don't know, but you do know that one Gemini capsule was reflown, right?

Gemini 2 was launched and recovered on January 19, 1965 (unmanned test).
After that flight, not only was it refurbished, but it was modified to
include a hatch in the heat shield as part of a MOL test flight on a
Titan IIIC which took place on November 3, 1966. So, there is a
historical precedent for this being done in a matter of months.

That capsule now resides in the Air Force Space & Missile Museum which
is in Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. There is an unflown
Gemini B (hatch in the heat shield and other modifications for MOL) in
the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio (it's always a favorite of mine when I
visit the museum).

Once Dragon V2 starts to fly, I wonder how many SpaceX will need to
build for each of the cargo and manned configs to meet NASA's needs and
turn around times.

Unknown, but surely there will be more than one of each. Considering
workflow issues and the need for backups, I'd hazard a guess at maybe 4
of each type (maybe one less or up to a couple more). They won't be
especially cheap to build, so building more than is necessary is clearly
an unnecessary expense.

Or will SpaceX keep the assembly line going at slow rate because it is
easier to do that than to build a batch of Dragons, produce none for
5-10 years, then get an order for new batch ?

They'll surely keep making them if there is demand. But there will be
internal pressure to stop making them, once they have enough to satisfy
demand, so that work can continue on BFR. Note that demand may remain
primarily from NASA or "new markets" could open up based on the future
availability of Dragon V2 and Dragon Heavy. For SpaceX, Dragon V2 is
just another intermediate step along the path of cheap access to space.
They do not intend to keep flying them once BFR is flying.

Will crewed taxi flights be on a regular 3 month flight schedule (with
some crews skipping the return to stay 6 months) or will there be
variations in the launch schedule from 3, 4 and 6 months ?

Unknown. That's up to SpaceX and NASA to negotiate based on NASA's
needs. Also note that Dragon isn't the cargo craft going to ISS, so
plans can always change based on unexpected events (failure of hardware
on ISS, failure of a cargo mission, and etc.).

Your questions, and my answers, are mostly speculation though. We'll
have to wait to see what SpaceX actually does.

Jeff