Old November 18th 06, 06:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

Default Retire Shuttle on orbit.

Brian Thorn wrote in
:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 01:31:17 -0600, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

As long as we could refuel the RCS and OMS system regularly

The OMS and RCS cannot be refueled in orbit.

To be fair the idea is not ridiculous, with sufficient planning, if
you had a need for them in orbit.

It's ridiculous not because it's technically difficult or impossible, but
because the benefit is not warranted by the considerable expense and the
result will still be inferior to a purpose-build solution. Cheaper
alternatives will be available by the time this solution could be fielded,
or at worst shortly afterward.

If NASA has to abandon Ares 1 and choose a DIRECT or Shuttle-C like
replacement, we'd be able to modify one of more of the Orbiters for
wingless, unmanned launch a few years after 2010, and the launch
facilities and team would still be available.

And so will Orion. The capabilities sought can be designed into Orion much
more cheaply than they can be retrofitted into a shuttle orbiter.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.