Old April 15th 05, 03:32 AM
Eric

I guess we will have to wait and see once the camera gets into the hands of
experienced independent users but I too noticed that all the images shown
were 30sec max. This is not really making use of the available 16bits.
There are plenty of people able to take images significantly longer than
this (though perhaps not as long as an hour) with modest equipment using for
example inexpensive webcam based autoguiders. IMO you are quite right to
be sceptical about the capability of a non Peltier cooled camera to be able
to take 1hr exposures. These Ex view Had chips are not renowned for their
low noise a ambient temperatures.

Robin

I'm just trying to see if it will make a reasonably inexpensive
'science' camera.

If the dark current limits the long exposure, I can slap a peltier chip
on the back. If the software is what limits the long exposure, that's
just dumb.

I know this isn't supposed to be a professional camera, but I'd like to
know what it is before I buy it.

Eric.