Old August 16th 17, 08:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Amazon (and Ebay?) flooded with unsafe eclipse viewers?

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 8:29:07 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 12:41:43 UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:56:06 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/13/news...nds/index.html

Note it appears the black polymer Baader film might not be suitable for
eyes-only eclipse viewing too.

LOL! I remember back in the old days, use to hold a piece of glass over a
candle to cover it with soot than use it to view the eclipse.
After 40 years, I still have 20/20 vision!

For the first solar eclipse I can remember my teacher gave every pupil a
piece of blotting paper with a needle hole in it. We watched the eclipse
through the hole.
For the next eclipse the teacher (not the same one) gave us all folded
black and white film negatives.

Fully exposed (blackened) black and white (as opposed to colour) film negatives are a safe viewing device, apparently. No, chromogenic black and white aren't suitable.

But, what can you see with it?
Use to have a small welding mask, used that once or twice for eclipse viewing, it was pretty good.