Old November 27th 03, 05:53 AM
Vincent Cate

Default This is the most important CATS post ever!

Andrew Nowicki wrote in message ...
You did not read the web page which explains the difference:
http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/SPBI122.HTM

In fact I did read it before posting. My previous
comment still stands.

VC In order to do this more than once, it needs to get
VC momentum back from someplace.

No, it does not.

Thats not an argument, that's just contradiction. :-)

VC The next problem is that your sack will need some
VC guidance and thruster control to get exactly where
VC it needs to go to. You can not fling something 1/4
VC million miles and have it get within a few meters
VC of the spot you were aiming for at exactly the right
VC time.

You did not read the web page about GPS accuracy:
http://gipsy.jpl.nasa.gov/igdg/syste....html#accuracy

Once again, yes, I looked at that. While it is true that
GPS can be made very accurate, this does not imply that
you can fling a sack from the moon and hit a 10 meter target
1/4 million miles away that is going around the Earth at
7.7 km/sec without any mid-course correction. If that is
in there, I missed it. :-)

VC For spectra-2000 you would need a tether like 600
VC times as heavy as your payload to handle a 4.3 km/s
VC tip speed.

You did not read the web page which explains it:
http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/SPBI1SL.HTM

The characteristic velocity of Spectra 2000 is 2690 m/s,
so the minimum tether mass is about 40 times greater
than the cargo mass.

No, it is not. See, two can play contradiction. :-) Though this
is not the best use of a newsgroup.

We could argue about that point for ever.

No, I won't argue any of these points any more. We mostly have
contradiction and you telling me I have not read things I have read.
And that is not an argument worth attending.

Yes, but it is too simple to simulate the system we are
talking about (lunavator bolo exchange). The system
is a complex celestial ballet of 3 rotating tethers. There
is a great need for a simulator that explains the ballet,
and you are the best guy to make such a simulator!

In fact my simulator can handle 3 tethers at once (or any number).
And you can track a payload, or zoom and pan, etc. So you could
simulate and follow very complex things. It is just easier to develop
the parts separately. Once all the parts stop changing, I will
make a sort of movie where you can watch everything from start to
finish.

I also made a drawing of the
lunavator. It is posted at:
http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/S...M/SPBI1324.JPG