Old February 2nd 04, 07:12 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Default Why send latest Mars Rovers?

"Dre" :

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message
Doc wrote:
Among all the hoopla surrounding the latest Mars explorer, what I
haven't heard is what this one will do that the previous ones didn't?
...I also haven't seen a pricetag on the things. Anybody?

"Let those who complain that too much money is being spent on abstract
knowledge while people are starving remember this: The alternative to
knowledge is savagery. Their very existence as stowaways on the voyage
of civilization is owing to advances in science which permit some to
live without doing their share of the work. Let them be tolerant, then,
lest by encumbering the useful ones they destroy the thing which keeps
them alive." -- George Ellery Hale

--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |

Now what do you think that mean Henry, since it can be looked upon it
different lights? As an aeronautical engineering student, I am very much

for
space exploration and opening doors for mankind, but I am also doing my bit
and helping today's "starving people", since many of them are in their
predicament because their inherent wealth has been taken and now funds such
missions.

Really? To my knowledge due to the use of science and technology if a person
truly starves to death in the USA or Canada it is considered a major news
story. There are tons of people suffering health problems from eating a
poorly balanced diet but how often have you seen anyone in N.A. who looks
like the children the aid agencies are
always asking money for?

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to