Old January 26th 04, 11:30 PM
Andrew Gray

Default Why send latest Mars Rovers?

In article , Jan C. Vorbrüggen wrote:
Jorge,

Viking cost $972 million in then-year dollars, or about $2.4 billion in
today's dollars, for two orbiters and two landers.

is there a handy spreadsheet or somesuch you've got that does the then-year-
to-today's-dollar conversion?

Jorge, I believe, has many shiny spreadsheets...

http://www.eh.net/hmit/ may be of some interest to you; not only does it
have the gadget in question, it does several similar things and has
explanatory notes...

[The problem that does often crop up, though, is when costs are given
over a long period and not noted - I was playing around with Saturn V
costs a little while back, where they were given independent of year -
and $1 (FY65) is around $1.75 (FY75) or so... so take pinches of salt
as needed]

--
-Andrew Gray