Old September 21st 08, 07:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Default ASTRO: DeepSkyStacker processing

Robert Price wrote in
:

There is another type of noise in my Canon 40D images that is not
related to hot pixels. What I was trying to illustrate in the two
images was the difference in color. Why should there be any
difference since I am stacking the same files, RAW files and TIF files
converted from those RAW files?

Although both RAW and TIF are uncompressed, it could be bit depth.

On my Nikon D200, RAW files are 12 bits per color plane rathar
than the usual 8. When you convert them to TIF you may be losing
those extra bits and thus losing dynamic range.

TIF as a format is capable of more than 8 bits per plane. Check
your software to see if you can retain those extra bits when you
convert.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?