Old October 8th 07, 04:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.station
Logan Kearsley[_1_]

Default Moon Laws

"Space Cadet" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 7, 1:40 pm, "Logan Kearsley" wrote:
Yes, but... that doesn't mean that the people living in the colony have
agree with the Earthlings who signed that treaty. They could just declare
themselves soveriegn and say "*we* never signed the OST, so bugger off".
Or,
if they don't form an independent nation, there's still nothing to stop
the
originating nation from passing new space-specific laws different from
those
that operate in their territory on Earth.

-l.
------------------------------------
My inbox is a sacred shrine, none shall enter that are not worthy.

I'm guessing, who their Sovereignecy(sp) be reconized by anyone
else? Since the formation of the UN, has there be a case of a former
colony declaring itself independence? What mechanisms are in place at
the UN to reconize a new country. The only new country that comes
mind off the top of my head is Israel and there has been 'some'
controversy over its formation ;^)

Why does it matter if the UN recognizes them?
OK, sure, it might be a practical problem if they get reconquered, or if
they need things from Earth and no one will supply them. But even then, they
could be effectively independent for, oh, probably a week, at least.

-l.
My inbox is a sacred shrine, none shall enter that are not worthy.