Old February 24th 16, 10:05 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

Default Most near-Earth asteroids are destroyed by the Sun, long before they get to Earth

In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:
Doesn't it simply mean that any and all asteroids that gets this close
to the Sun, gets destroyed?

"This close" is not a fixed distance. According to the paper, small
and/or dark asteroids are destroyed at larger distances than big
and/or reflective ones. However the uncertainty in how destruction
distance varies with asteroid parameters isn't clear to me. It also
isn't clear to me whether destruction has to be instantaneous, though
the paper models it that way.

It was always clear that asteroids passing close enough to the Sun
would be destroyed. What's new is that "close enough" is somewhat
farther than was known. The destruction mechanism that leads to this
is still not known.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA