Old February 18th 05, 06:08 AM
Charleston

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Charleston wrote:

Kind of like this unreleased STS 51-L video where the smoke, uh stops at
3.375 seconds?

http://www.challengerdisaster.info/s..._m-2_mpg_i.mpg

You know, there's a far better video of the smoke plume out there than
that; in fact, I can't even see the smoke plume in that crappy and
distorted video. The other video is in color in color and a _lot_ closer
up.

Okay, I have uploaded MPEG II videos of M-2 and M-3. Still not AVI, nor
3/4", but they are good enough. If you look at M-3 at 10.4 to 10.5 seconds
MET, you will notice that the space between the SRBs and the Orbiter (side
shot) is obscured by smoke. At MET 12.7 and 12.8 seconds the first right
SRB stiffener ring immediately below the base of the ET and from there on up
the SRB to the ET is intermittedly obscured by smoke. When you combine M-3
with M-2 you can get a 3-dimensional feel for the smoke's location based on
what is being obscured! In a nutshell something is still leaking! I have
reviewed prior flight photography and nothing comes close to the density of
the smoke (obscured hardware behind smoke) as can be seen on STS 51-L.

If you do not have freeze frame/frame by frame advance, it is very difficult
to pick-up/appreciate the subtlety of what is happening as described above.

Daniel