Old March 3rd 05, 06:52 PM
Douglas Berry

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:19:18 GMT, Fred J. McCall
drained his beer, leaned back in the
alt.conspiracy beanbag and drunkenly proclaimed the following
(Rand Simberg) wrote:

:On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:19:22 GMT, in a place far, far away, Douglas
:Berry made the phosphor on my
:monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

:The standard headgear of the United States Army is the beret, moron.
:
:Yup. Instituted during the Clinton administration (by Shalikashvili,
:I believe) with much unhappiness from the Special Forces. The idea
:was to make everyone feel "special."

And so now no one is. sigh

Well, the Special Forces still have their green berets, airborne still
wears maroon, and my beloved Rangers switched to a tan beret when the
rest of the Army went to black. So certain units still have a
distinctive look.

To be honest, I don't mind the berets, as long as someone teaches the
troops how to wear them. (Hint one: cut out the lining.) Anything is
better than the overseas cap I had to wear when in non-Airborne units
(aka the "**** cap")

--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.