Search: Posts made by: Dan Birchall[_3_]
Forum: Policy February 13th 11, 12:49 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
NASA Eyes Spaceplanes For Crew Transport

(Pat Flannery) wrote:
On 2/8/2011 2:50 PM, wrote:
But if industry succeeds, it will be thanks to decades of work by the
space agency on...
Forum: History February 13th 11, 11:42 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Falcon 9 heading for Moon in 2013?

(Rick Jones) wrote:
In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:
Carrying Astrobotic Technology Inc.'s rover:
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 13th 11, 04:39 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
What is an amateur astronomer now?

Hmmm... I don't think reading Wikipedia articles about stuff in space
makes one an astronomer, amateur or otherwise. I'd certainly say it
exhibits an interest in astronomical matters, just like...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 13th 11, 04:31 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Pro & amateur astronomers ?

Ken,

I'm sorry your government (Canadian?) places such low emphasis on
providing its taxpayers timely access to astronomical data.

I can't give you any zero-day data that still has that "fresh...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 4th 11, 06:33 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Thoughts on why companies can't or won't produce a reasonable priced telescope?

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote:
I was talking to a group of parents recently where the subject of
introducing their kids to science specifically astronomy came up.
Much was...
Forum: Space Shuttle January 22nd 11, 12:54 PM Posted to sci.space.shuttle
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
NASA Hands in space!

(David E. Powell) wrote:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Right now on NASA TV space walking action...

What does "NASA Hands" mean? I didn't think...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 21st 11, 07:03 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Shoulder Mounted Telescope

(John Norris) wrote:
I'm sure this has been done before, but I really hadn't seen one
on-line. I offer my own little weekend project:

Forum: Research January 18th 11, 05:27 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Galaxy cluster at 1100 million years after BB

(jacob navia) wrote:
NASA publishes the discovery of a galaxy cluster at 12.6 billion light
years:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-013
Forum: Policy December 16th 10, 01:48 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost

(Anonymous Remailer (austria)) wrote:
This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations?

Yeah! Remember the great...
Forum: History December 16th 10, 01:36 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Virgin Galactic and Orbital

(Pat Flannery) wrote:
Virgin Galactic said they were looking into something like this a few
years back, under the concept name "SpaceShip 3".
Two problems with this idea...
Forum: Misc December 5th 10, 06:45 AM Posted to alt.astronomy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Tempel 1 is not a Comet

(Brad Guth) wrote:
On Nov 28, 10:54*am, Warhol wrote:
Temple One is made of Iron cometh from the inner Iron core of the
Fifth planet, what is now a...
Forum: History October 30th 10, 10:17 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Sea Launch out of bankruptcy

(Pat Flannery) wrote:
On 10/29/2010 12:03 AM, Dan Birchall wrote:

That would be pretty cool, indeed. I have to settle for having flown
commercial airlines a distance...
Forum: Astronomy Misc October 30th 10, 10:14 AM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Sci Astro Researchers: Collaboration Can Increase Your Research Productivity

(Arin280) wrote:
Over 15,600 researchers from 95 countries and many research
specialties use MyNetResearch.

Are you able to say how many of them are in astronomy,...
Forum: History October 29th 10, 09:03 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Sea Launch out of bankruptcy

(Pat Flannery) wrote:
Pretty far-out, but one thing Russian entrepreneurs have actually looked
at is using surplus Zond technology to develop a space tourist
spacecraft...
Forum: History October 27th 10, 02:40 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
alternate location for French/European spaceport

(Yofie) wrote:
On 26 oct, 00:29, Dan Birchall wrote:
Given that Suriname was a Dutch colony and Guyana a British one, I
don't think either...
Forum: History October 26th 10, 05:29 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
alternate location for French/European spaceport

(Yofie) wrote:
If the French space agency (when looking for a new site for their
spaceport in the mid-1960s to get away from their existing site in
Algeria) had not chosen...
Forum: Policy October 26th 10, 01:50 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
What to do with the moon?

(Ian Parker) wrote:
Yes, this is one idea that as I put it won't cost the Earth. Brad
suggests 50/50 pubic private finance. In fact given some public money
- it need not...
Forum: Misc October 24th 10, 08:03 AM Posted to alt.astronomy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Two Newest Planets

(Mark Earnest) wrote:
I have been searching the Internet about the two newest planets
discovered, Sedna and Eris.

Actually, Sedna can't officially be labeled a planet yet,...
Forum: Policy October 21st 10, 07:56 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Hey lets outsource satellite launches too.

(Brad Guth) wrote:
Soon China will be outperforming our NASA and USAF combined.

I think they'd have some catching-up to do on the military front,
but they certainly want to...
Forum: Policy October 21st 10, 04:13 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
World's first _manned_ commercial spacecraft completes...

(Jeff Findley) wrote:
World's first commercial spacecraft completes manned flight
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/11/california.space.flight/

Good enough article,...
Forum: Policy October 21st 10, 03:44 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Hey lets outsource satellite launches too.

) wrote:
Why do ANYTHING in america? Jobs? Who cares corporate america can make
more money doing it in other countries, and we americans must not need
Forum: Misc October 21st 10, 01:11 AM Posted to alt.astronomy
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
How can galaxies move FTL relative to each other?

(Ted Shoemaker) wrote:
If I read correctly, galaxies are generally moving away from each
other, sometimes at speeds greater than that of light.

Relative to each other,...
Forum: Astronomy Misc October 18th 10, 09:58 PM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Get ready to see lots more exoplanet images soon

(Yousuf Khan) wrote:
Get ready to see lots more exoplanet images soon | Bad Astronomy |
Discover Magazine
Forum: Space Station October 13th 10, 01:07 AM Posted to sci.space.station
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
water tankers in space?

(Orson Cart) wrote:
Supposing that the cost of space travel was reduced by
a factor of at least 10, and then there were many space stations
going for years on end.

Forum: Astronomy Misc October 11th 10, 05:57 AM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Dan Birchall[_3_]
Occulter for a space telescope: what about effects of the Sun ?