Search: Posts made by: Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply][_3_]
Forum: Research September 1st 20, 04:22 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
13th International LISA Symposium online 2020-Sept-01 through -03

The 13th International LISA Symposium is happening online today
(2020-Sept-01), tomorrow (2020-Sept-02), and thursday (2020-Sept-03).

https://lisasymposium13.lisamission.org/

Quoting from the...
Forum: Research September 27th 19, 02:56 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

Steve Willner wrote:
which in turn describes this research paper
"A measurement of the Hubble constant from angular diameter distances
to two gravitational...
Forum: Research April 13th 19, 12:41 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
EHT Picture of the black hole in M87

In a recent moderator's note, I wrote
[[about the Event Horizon Telescope announcement of the first
"picture of a black hole"]]
4. The first 5 research papers describing this are open-access at...
Forum: Research December 15th 18, 07:59 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Cosmological Problems

A few comments about just how one goes about measuring (estimating)
the Hubble constant with gravitational-wave "standard sirens"...

The key physics underlying these measurements is that...
Forum: Research June 28th 18, 10:13 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Moderator's Note: delays in article processing in the next 3 days

Dear newsgroup participants,

Due to moderator travel, there may not be any active moderators for
the next 3 days. If so, any articles submitted during that time will
be queued for moderation when...
Forum: Research May 20th 18, 09:05 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
First stars

jacobnavia wrote:
See ESO PR "The
onset of star formation 250 million years after the Big Bang"

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1815/

which also...
Forum: Research January 16th 18, 11:31 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Trouble For Dark Energy Hypothesis?

Gary Harnagel wrote:
I'm having trouble picturing why we should see the CMBR at all. Since it's
traveling at the speed of light but we're moving somewhat slower, shouldn't
Forum: Research January 14th 18, 05:42 PM Posted to sci.physics.research,sci.astro.research
Trouble For Dark Energy Hypothesis?

[[
Meta-comment: This discussion started in sci.physics.research, but
its "natural home" is in sci.astro.research. I've cross-posted this
article to both newsgroups, and set the Followup-To: header...
Forum: Research January 10th 18, 10:15 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
scientific proof and disproof (was: A quasar, too heavy to be true)

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
Of course, technically, one can never prove the
non-existence of something;

On the contrary, one can indeed prove the...
Forum: Research November 19th 17, 08:41 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Addition of grav'l potentials?

stargene wrote:
I would like to know if there is a straightforward way of calculating
the sum of two different gravitational potentials U and V at some point
x.

Forum: Research December 4th 16, 10:44 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Evidence for a static universe

In article ,
jacobnavia wrote:
Is "big bang cosmology" a religion or a scientific theory?

If it is a scientific...
Forum: Research March 9th 16, 09:07 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Large, Bright Galaxy at z ~ 11

Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
Also what we need are fully general relativistic modeling to supersede
crude toy models that use the Newtonian approximations.

For hints...
Forum: Research March 8th 16, 04:21 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
systematic errors and the Hubble constant (was: Did LIGO Detect Dark Matter? - New paper on arxiv.org)

Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
For years de
Vaucouleurs and Sandage debated fiercely about the value of the Hubble
constant. Using virtually the same data they "proved"...
Forum: Research March 8th 16, 04:20 PM Posted to sci.astro.research,sci.physics.research
Ligo. What happened 1.3 billion years ago.

I wrote:
From the overall amplitude of the gravitational-wave signal we know
the total mass of the system (a bit over 60 solar masses).

Steve Willner asked:
How is...
Forum: Research March 7th 16, 10:19 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Ligo. What happened 1.3 billion years ago.

Nicolaas Vroom asked:
This brings me to my question: Are we sure that this is really
a binary system and is not a third object involved.

I replied:
By the customary...
Forum: Research March 5th 16, 10:34 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Ligo. What happened 1.3 billion years ago.

Nicolaas Vroom asked:
This brings me to my question: Are we sure that this is really
a binary system and is not a third object involved.

I replied:
By the...
Forum: Research March 5th 16, 10:32 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Ligo. What happened 1.3 billion years ago.

Nicolaas Vroom wrote:
Consider 3 different configurations:
1. A binary star system of 30 solar masses each.
2. A binary BH system of 30 solar masses each.
3. A one...
Forum: Research February 13th 16, 11:08 AM Posted to sci.astro.research,sci.physics.research
Advanced LIGO has detected gravitational waves from a binary black hole collision/merger

There's a very nice and not-very-technical open-access account of this
discovery, including some interesting history, at
http://physics.aps.org/articles/v9/17

Many of the science papers from this...
Forum: Research February 13th 16, 11:07 AM Posted to sci.physics.research,sci.astro.research
Advanced LIGO has detected gravitational waves from a binary black hole collision/merger

In sci.astro.research Jos Bergervoet wrote:
Why are the 2 predicted curve in this picture slightly different?
https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/image/ligo20160211a
It...
Forum: Research February 12th 16, 09:04 AM Posted to sci.physics.research,sci.astro.research
Advanced LIGO has detected gravitational waves from a binaryblack hole collision/merger

The event is called GW150914.

This Nature page is a good summary
http://www.nature.com/news/einstein-s-gravitational-waves-found-at-last-1.19361
as is this LIGO page
Forum: Research November 30th 15, 09:00 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
LISA Pathfinder scheduled to launch tomorrow, 2015-12-01

LISA Pathfinder -- a technology-demonstrator mission for the proposed
eLISA space-based gravitational-wave detector -- is scheduled to launch
tomorrow (1 December 2015), at 11:15pm US-Eastern...
Forum: Research September 29th 15, 07:05 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
liquid (salty) water on Mars

Ohja et al have just published a paper reporting spectral evidence for
flowing (salty) water on Mars.

Pretty good news story:
Forum: Research July 22nd 15, 01:24 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Moderator's Note: newsgroup delays

Dear newsgroup participants,

The E-mail problems I described in a moderator's note yesterday appear
to be solved, and I have now processed all the queued submissions that
I've (belatedly)...
Forum: Research July 7th 15, 05:40 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Farewell Perfect Cosmological Principle?

It seems to me that there are two key questions in thinking about the
Balazs et al result.

First, is their result truly "surprising"? That is, is their post-hoc
probability estimate 2e-6 valid? ...
Forum: Research March 16th 15, 12:40 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
An old galaxy at z=7.1

Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
Here is a direct, straightforward question that I would like to have answered.

What quantitative or unique qualitative empirical result...