Search: Posts made by: BogeyOne
Forum: Amateur Astronomy June 21st 17, 04:53 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
8" Dobsonians

StarDust wrote:

How good these Mead/Celestron 8" DOB telescopes for $400 or so?
I'm thinking to get one, getting tired of the goto world!

Can't speak for the 8 inch dobs, but I have a Meade...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 29th 17, 02:26 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
Etymology of the word 'planet'

Paul Schlyter wrote:

If so, why not five divisions of six days each instead? Or three
divisions of ten days each?

There would go my vacations and days off.

-- It is not that I am lazy. I...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 23rd 17, 04:40 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
Mars flyover from orbiter images.

Chris.B wrote:

What it says on the tin:

https://vimeo.com/207076450

Stunning

Yes stunning and completely desolate and forbidding and remote. A
human colony there one day? I think not.
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 19th 17, 06:23 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
So, what's on the Moon?

Chris L Peterson wrote:

I'd pass on that technology until humans become socially advanced
enough to not consider its weapons potential.

The case could be made that we are running out of time. ...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 11th 17, 04:15 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
Mars in 2033

Quadibloc wrote:

This article

http://www.econotimes.com/NASA-Mars-Project-Ordered-By-US-Congress-Colonization-By-2033-A-Must-584243

contained very good news.

I'm glad to see...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 6th 17, 04:31 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
Antique market score

RichA wrote:

Friend of mine grabbed a mint mounted 1960's Questar 3.5" with
accessories, etc, for $575.00 at an antique show.

What a wonderful piece of luck. I wonder what it was actually...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 28th 17, 07:54 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
trappist-1

Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 16:33:21 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 07:42:07 -0700, Chris L Peterson
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 20th 17, 05:00 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

RichA wrote:
Earth-like? I'd believe it when they get there. Here's the travel time:

-Current rocket technology (if a large enough one could be built): 120,000mph.
25,000 years to get...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 1st 17, 02:27 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By BogeyOne
Give it away

Are you "telescoped out?" The symptom of which would be not having had
the urge to get under the night sky with your scope for a long time
(like years), then do something good with the expensive...