Search: Posts made by: canopus56[_3_]
Forum: Amateur Astronomy May 9th 10, 11:41 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Leo and Saturn

"Foxy Contin" wrote in
news:OX5Fn.3600$z%[email protected]:

It's Leo and the trio with Saturn in tow all summer long...How long
will Saturn be here? Considering it's long orbit I...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy May 1st 10, 08:47 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
measuring degrees with fist

"Pippi" wrote in news:qRJCn.2919$z%[email protected]:

It's said that a fist at arms length is about 10 degrees of sky. BUT,
when I use a sun filter held up to the sun and measure...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy April 12th 10, 03:50 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Spherical Trig Graphics Tools?

"W. eWatson" wrote in news:hptgg2$jd0$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

I sometimes like to draw spherical trig graphics, but use draw in MS
World. It can work, but is a...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 24th 10, 03:16 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
First attempt at lunar photography

(Paul Ciszek) wrote in news:hjd0t2$i2s$1
@reader1.panix.com:

Looks like you are on your way. The next steps to consider in your
imaging evolution a

1) Build a Hartman mask to...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 21st 09, 01:44 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Meteor Camera Sony ExView HAD help sought

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

snip
Have you considered using a PC164C? You can turn off its
AGC.

Chris, there is a...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 21st 09, 01:27 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Meteor Camera Sony ExView HAD help sought

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:
snip
I'm surprised you're seeing any effect from the AGC. I use a PC164C,
which has (last...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 20th 09, 04:58 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Meteor Camera Sony ExView HAD help sought

Group,

I am interested in brewing an inexpensive all sky meteor camera. In this
regard, I am looking for someone or a set of instructions to cripple the
automatic gain control and automatic...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 17th 09, 04:09 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
How Do Telescopes Magnify? School Level.

"W. eWatson" wrote in
:

I'm looking for a good description of how telescopes magnify using
diagrams. No equations. I'd like...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 15th 09, 06:34 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
The sky was full of meteors!

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

Carl, Chris's numbers are consistent with radio meteor observing,
although radio observing sees...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 12th 09, 07:38 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Newsgroup math

X: no-archive

Epsilon Eridani wrote in
:

The number of CHINK spam ads is in inverse proportion to the number of
Forum: Amateur Astronomy November 28th 09, 12:49 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Utah Nov 18 Fireball three videos

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

So far, I've seen solutions based on seismic data, on infrasound data,
and on optical data....
Forum: Astro Pictures June 13th 08, 04:16 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Torricelli and Sinus Asperitatis - 1 attachment

Lunar image taken last weekend of crater Torricelli.

Torricelli and Sinus Asperitatis - Processed
http://gallery.utahastronomy.com/main.php?g2_itemId=11507

No great resolution, but the image...
Forum: Astro Pictures May 31st 08, 11:27 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Porrima split - documentation pic 20080531 - 1 attachment

A small documentary style image showing the newly enlarging split of
Porrima A-B (gam Vir) now at around 1". Porrima B is now again becoming
accessible by small telescopes. This binary split is...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy April 15th 08, 05:04 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Putting a Rainbow Optics (RO) Spectral Filter in Front of a Telephoto Lens

"W. Watson" wrote in
:
snip
Anyone know where I can get the
required parts, or some other set of parts that will do...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy April 14th 08, 02:01 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Astronomy - not religious pollution

"Astronomy Joe" wrote in
:

snip all
Hank originally wrote:
Hi guys..
Yes, sadly astronomy talk in here gradually seems to...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy April 8th 08, 06:36 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
The colour of Alpha Centauri

Jack wrote in news:842bac25-0530-4b55-a989-
:
snip
The variability of Beta is probably the culprit!

I am out of practice on...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy April 6th 08, 11:03 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Cono & Rosette nebula widefield

"Danilo Pivato" wrote in news:47f92a4d$0$4784
:

http://www.danilopivato.com/tabulae_coeli/0600_00/2548.htm

Wonderful wide field, Danilo....
Forum: Astro Pictures March 21st 08, 04:45 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Lunar Plinius SE M Serenitatis - 2 attachments (1/2) - 2 attachments

"George Normandin" wrote in
:

Interesting image! I take it that this was taken at prime focus?
George N...
Forum: Astro Pictures March 21st 08, 04:37 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Lunar Plinius SE M Serenitatis - 2 attachments (1/2) - 2 attachments

Skywise wrote in
:

Quick question...where did you get your DEM for the Moon, and
what format is it in? I recognize the...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 18th 08, 10:14 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
SCT question

" wrote in
:

As I was turning the focus knob back and forth from one...
Forum: Astro Pictures March 18th 08, 07:00 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Lunar Plinius SE M Serenitatis - 2 attachments (1/2) - 2 attachments

canopus56 wrote in
:

A raw and labeled image of the dark mantle region near the south eastern
edge of Mare...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 16th 08, 03:41 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Most Enjoyable (Special, etc.) Astronomical Moment

jerry warner wrote in
:

snip all

Ditto on the Leonids 2001, but it's too hard to choose. It usually the
last exciting object that I...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 15th 08, 10:01 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
star color with binoculars

brucegooglegroups wrote in
:

On Mar 14, 12:37 am, canopus56 ...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 14th 08, 04:37 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
star color with binoculars

brucegooglegroups wrote in news:ccd8d894-
:

On occasion I see color in stars when viewing with binoculars....
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 12th 08, 08:56 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By canopus56[_3_]
Tomorrow's Monster Telescopes

Helpful person wrote in news:dba646c5-8018-42a6-9177-
:

As I read it this is not a synthetic aperture telescope. At optical