Search: Posts made by: Preben Grosbol
Forum: FITS December 17th 10, 12:40 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Potential new compression method for FITS tables

On Thursday 16 December 2010 14:42:51 Mark Taylor wrote:
Although it doesn't say so explicitly, I presume since there's no
indication otherwise that tables encoded in the way described by this
Forum: FITS August 24th 07, 01:46 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

On Friday 24 August 2007 14:12, Randall Thompson wrote:
If the consensus is that
there should not be any connection between the primary header and
extensions.
perhaps this should be stated in...
Forum: FITS August 24th 07, 08:46 AM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

On Thursday 23 August 2007 23:15, Randall Thompson wrote:
Although not a
reserved keyword, NEXTEND is commonly used to describe the
number of included extensions
There is a danger in explicit...
Forum: FITS August 23rd 07, 10:39 AM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

On Thursday 23 August 2007 03:25, Tim Pearson wrote:
My guess (it's a long time ago) is that there were FITS files out *
there that had special records that did not conform to the rules for *
Forum: FITS August 22nd 07, 09:11 AM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] once FITS always FITS

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 19:10, Steve Allen wrote:
A question for those who have been around longer than I:

Does "once FITS always FITS" mean

I'm may not fully qualify but for me the point...
Forum: FITS August 21st 07, 10:08 AM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

On Monday 20 August 2007 07:00, Craig Markwardt wrote:
Has EXTEND ever been optional for files with extensions?

At the time when extensions were introduced, most readers would
not even think of...
Forum: FITS August 17th 07, 10:26 AM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] New DUMP FITS extension

On Thursday 16 August 2007 21:51, William Pence wrote:
The question is what do we (the FITS community in general, and the
IAUFWG in particular) do now? *Should we draft a definition document
Forum: FITS August 16th 07, 04:11 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

On Thursday 16 August 2007 16:32, Peter Teuben wrote:
So, random groups may
be old, but it works and isn't broken.
Yes of course. Rereading the FITS v3 proposal its wording
should be okay with...
Forum: FITS August 16th 07, 09:32 AM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

On Monday 13 August 2007 15:40, LC's NoSpam Newsreading account wrote:
I am not sure what you mean here ? The fact that PCOUNT and GCOUNT are
inthe 5th and 6th place in table 4.8 ? But table 6.1...
Forum: FITS August 10th 07, 01:20 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

On Monday 23 July 2007 21:03, William Pence wrote:
Please post any comments, suggestions, or concerns regarding these
proposals (or any other suggestions for improving the Standard document)
Forum: FITS October 10th 06, 10:33 AM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Preben Grosbol
[fitsbits] Start of "Foreign File Encapsulation" Public CommentPeriod

On Friday 29 September 2006 23:14, William Pence wrote:
This convention defines a new FITS extension type with

XTENSION= 'FOREIGN '
This Public Comment Period will remain open for 30...