Search: Posts made by: WA0CKY
Forum: Astro Pictures January 9th 18, 10:19 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
I don't use or read USENET. The forum I'm...

I don't use or read USENET. The forum I'm posting to is SpaceBanter. They do copy posts to USENET but it is SpaceBanter that deletes posts. Sometimes quickly sometimes weeks later. It's users of...
Forum: Astro Pictures December 26th 17, 06:50 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
Good-bye

After this site has constantly deleted my posts and NEVER NEVER NEVER replied to my requests as to why they are deleting them I quit using this site a while back. Not as far back as the last post,...
Forum: Astro Pictures December 9th 17, 07:32 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC 7246 and it's two crazy friends

NGC 7246 is a spiral galaxy in Aquarius about 170 million light-years distant (130 million by a single Tully-Fisher measurement. I suspect the redshift distance is closer to the right value as you...
Forum: Astro Pictures December 6th 17, 08:05 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
Planetary NGC 6852

NGC 6852 is a blue planetary nebula in east-central Aquila. I found distance estimates ranging from 5,100 light-years to 13,800 light-years. The most recent I found said 7,400 light-years and gave...
Forum: Astro Pictures December 6th 17, 07:58 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
You're having fun with that little scope. At...

You're having fun with that little scope. At that image scale do you even need to guide? Suppose so to dither.

I'm totally clouded out here and have been for weeks. Clear one day before full moon...
Forum: Astro Pictures December 2nd 17, 07:58 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
PGC 9247 A Study in Contrasts, Color and Brightness

PGC 9247 is a SAB(rs)bc spiral galaxy about 210 million light-years distant in the southeast corner of Andromeda. While its core region is relatively bright and lacks blue stars it is surrounded by...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 28th 17, 08:17 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
Narrowband makes this one good even from within...

Narrowband makes this one good even from within the light dome of Berlin.

At least you had scopes of less focal length than my 3650 to 3680 (longer in cold weather). I'd need a minimum of 16...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 27th 17, 08:41 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC 7731, NGC 7732 and IC 1504

Edit: Unfortunately I can't edit the title on the main page. It should read NGC 7731, NGC 7732 and IC 1504.

Why I imaged this field is a mystery. It's not on my to-do list yet the coordinates...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 24th 17, 08:22 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
IC 226 A Giant Low Surface Brightness Galaxy

IC 226 and IC 227 are the largest members of the MCXC J0228.1+2811 galaxy cluster. The cluster is located in the southeast corner of Triangulum and is just under a half billion light-years from us. ...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 17th 17, 08:49 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC 7311 and NGC 7312 A Pair of Spiral Galaxies

NGC 7311 and 7312 are two spiral galaxies seen against the distant galaxy cluster, Abell 2454. The field is "above" the neck of Pegasus the horse that flies upside down in our northern skies. The...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 14th 17, 07:02 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC 7193 an OCR and IC 5160 a galaxy

NGC 7193 is considered by some to be an asterism, others such as SIMBAD say it is an open cluster. But the only paper on it that I found says it is an OCR. That doesn't stand for Optical Character...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 11th 17, 06:41 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
Berkeley 82 with attachments (I hope)

Attachments failed to attach even though they were seen in the preview. I'm trying again.

Berkeley 82 is a small open cluster in northeastern Aquila. It resides on the edge of the dark rift that...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 11th 17, 06:35 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
Berkeley 82

Berkeley 82 is a small open cluster in northeastern Aquila. It resides on the edge of the dark rift that runs through much of the constellation. This is why the lower right corner has far more...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 8th 17, 06:49 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC 7407 A Strange Spiral Galaxy

NGC 7407 is a somewhat unsymmetrical spiral galaxy with a huge faint looping arm to the south unlike any to the north. It is part of a group of galaxies about 280 million light-years distant in...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 5th 17, 08:22 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
PV Cephi and Gyulbudaghian's Nebula

I've been monitoring the nebula around PV Cephi (Gyulbudaghian's Nebula) since 2011. Each year changes are seen but nothing nearly as dramatic as when my images are compared to the POSS I and POSS...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 2nd 17, 07:39 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
Berkeley 54

Berkeley 54 is a very old star cluster, as open star clusters go, with an age of about 4 billion years. Most clusters of this age have long since been torn apart. This one is still quite condensed...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 2nd 17, 04:18 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
Nice use of bright moon nights. Imagine it's not...

Nice use of bright moon nights. Imagine it's not as bad with your Berlin light dome as it is here with my usually very dark skies. Nothing but snow of late so it doesn't much matter. I haven't...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 30th 17, 08:06 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
Abell 2593-S

ABELL 2593-S is the southern part of the ABELL 2593 cluster. The northern part is out of my image, to the north, obviously. It is located in Pegasus just below the Great Square and is about 550...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 28th 17, 08:14 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
Berkeley 103

Berkeley 103 is an obscure, little studied, open cluster in Cassiopeia. WEBDA and the one paper I found on it agree that it is about 6850 light-years distant +/- 300. They put its age at about a...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 26th 17, 08:21 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC7592 and Arp 223/NGC7585

My target for this image was NGC 7592, a pair of colliding galaxies in northern Aquarius just below the Circlet of Pisces. When I saw Arp 223 could fit in the frame I adjusted to include it. Though...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 24th 17, 09:14 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC7535, NGC7536 and NGC7559

These three NGC galaxies are located in Pegasus, just below the Great Square. All have a red-shift that puts them about 200 million light-years distant though the two spirals have non-red-shift...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 13th 17, 04:58 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
NGC 7480/Berkeley 57

NGC 7423/Berkeley 57 is an open cluster right in the southeast corner of Cepheus. In fact, a piece of the left edge is in Cassiopeia while the very bottom of the image is in Lacerta. It was...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 11th 17, 05:54 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
Wbl 685

This galaxy group is located in northern Pegasus at the border with Lacerta and about 1 degree north of the far more famous Deer Lick Galaxy, NGC 7331. The 6 brightest members are known as the UGC...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 11th 17, 06:11 AM
Posted By WA0CKY
Nice job on those little guys. The low read...

Nice job on those little guys. The low read noise of the new CMOS cameras allows short exposures that make for nice resolution but sure eat up disk space like crazy.

I just replaced my imaging...
Forum: Astro Pictures October 9th 17, 09:13 PM
Posted By WA0CKY
King 10 and Saloranta GN J2256.0+5906

King 10 is an open cluster in southeastern Cepheus. The eastern border of Cepheus with Cassiopeia runs along the eastern edge of my image. WEBDA puts its distance at 11,000 light-years and its age...