Search: Posts made by: Bob Garwood
Forum: FITS May 6th 09, 08:27 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Bob Garwood
[fitsbits] INSTRUME and TELESCOP

I think it's import not to confuse the internal usage and data formats
of a specific package or tool with a corresponding FITS file intended to
hold the same data.

If the FITS file format was...
Forum: FITS May 6th 09, 08:10 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Bob Garwood
[fitsbits] frequency definitions

I think I'd avoid that usage and invent another keyword for that
purpose. It's a useful thing to make note of - i.e. that's the
frequency we're using to do the updates necessary for dopper...
Forum: FITS May 6th 09, 06:42 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Bob Garwood
[fitsbits] frequency definitions

Since I'm the author of that part of that note, I should probably chime
in here.

As mentioned elsewhere, the primary WCS papers are referenced in that
previous reply and cited below. The SDFITS...
Forum: FITS August 27th 08, 06:56 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Bob Garwood
[fitsbits] fitsverify and "implied" table columns themselves...?

Yup. I should have gone on to say that making those keywords into
constant valued columns simply shuts up fitsverify, it doesn't make it
any more of a valid way of conveying the WCS information. ...
Forum: FITS August 27th 08, 05:52 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By Bob Garwood
[fitsbits] fitsverify and "implied" table columns themselves...?

That appears to be the SDFITS convention, which predates the WCS papers
and agreements. The WCS information in those tables is unlikely to be
widely understood as a result. The SDFITS convention...