Search: Posts made by: William Elliot[_4_]
Forum: Policy October 15th 18, 07:46 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, David Spain wrote:

BTW. ASAP == Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel - talk about acronym
abuse.

In that context does ASAP mean "as slow as possible"?
Forum: Policy October 15th 18, 07:40 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018, Jeff Findley wrote:
says...

For years the US been dependent upon Russia for ISS access.
That's how reliable US is.

Yes we have because the US...
Forum: Policy October 14th 18, 07:23 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

Let's not sugar coat this. Russia has had a **** poor reliability
record over the life of ISS. Three Progress resupply vessels never
made it to ISS and the latest one of those was yet...
Forum: Policy September 19th 18, 06:01 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
SpaceX moon flight

BFR == Big ****ing Rocket (a 'cleaned up' version is Big Falcon
Rocket)

I've hear McCall cawing with such linguistic eloquence about his great
grandmother's pokadot blummers, that I've rewarded...
Forum: Policy September 18th 18, 06:26 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
SpaceX moon flight

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018, wrote:

SpaceX says its BFR will fly someone around the Moon; we have
questions:

BFR? Bare Foot Rocket?

"On Thursday evening, without any...
Forum: Policy September 15th 18, 05:18 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
SpaceX moon flight

News conference on Monday will give more details.

A trip to the moon on gossamer wings?
Forum: Policy September 5th 18, 06:18 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Scientists Map Out How to Nudge Small Asteroids into Earth?sOrbit

Maybe it would be safer to just grab the "mini moons" that Earth
captures periodically:

"But new research has unearthed (...unmooned?) evidence that our
planet occasionally captures...
Forum: Policy August 19th 18, 06:38 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Parker Solar Probe

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018, Jeff Findley wrote:
says...

A description of the Parker Solar Probe take off is included in
Forum: Policy August 18th 18, 06:41 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Parker Solar Probe

A description of the Parker Solar Probe take off is included in

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/parker-solar-probe-preview.html

In the web page it metions that upon ignition, the rocket...
Forum: Science August 14th 18, 12:09 PM Posted to sci.space.science
[PS] Parker Solar Probe preview: 10 hot facts about NASA's coolmission to the Sun

Parker Solar Probe preview: 10 hot facts about NASA's cool mission
to the Sun

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/parker-solar-probe-preview.html

This weekend,...
Forum: Science August 10th 18, 11:49 AM Posted to sci.space.science
[PS] Parker Solar Probe preview: 10 hot facts about NASA's coolmission to the Sun

Planetary Society Blog

Parker Solar Probe preview: 10 hot facts about NASA's cool mission
to the Sun

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/parker-solar-probe-preview.html

Forum: Policy July 1st 18, 05:54 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria in spaeships

Do they also sterilize satellites?
Actually, yes. And build them in 'clean rooms'.

Has it ever happened that an instrument was deteriorated by bacteria?

Forum: Policy June 30th 18, 07:14 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria in spaeships

Do they also sterilize satellites?
Actually, yes. And build them in 'clean rooms'.

For what reason? Sensitive instruments?

Because you don't want things...
Forum: Policy June 29th 18, 03:06 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria in spaeships

Then why are they sterilizing landers?
Because they don't want cross contamination on their instruments.

Do they also sterilize satellites?
Actually, yes. And build them...
Forum: Policy June 28th 18, 04:02 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria in spaeships

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Then why are they sterilizing landers?

Because they don't want cross contamination on their instruments.

Do they also sterilize satellites?
Forum: Policy June 27th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria in spaeships

What are we going to do about preventing Earth bacteria
from contaminating Mars biota when we set foot on Mars?

You're assuming that there is an actual living Mars biota. ...
Forum: Policy June 27th 18, 05:44 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria in spaeships

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Jeff Findley wrote:
What are we going to do about preventing Earth bacteria
from contamenating Mars biota when we set foot on Mars?

You're assuming that there is an...
Forum: Policy June 26th 18, 06:26 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria in spaeships

What are we going to do about preventing Earth bacteria
from contamenating Mars biota when we set foot on Mars?

A microbiologist discovered that Acetinobacter can eat the
desinfectant that NASA...
Forum: Policy June 26th 18, 06:24 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Space elevator

I just found again an old document I read some 18 years ago about
space elevators:
http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/studies/final_report/472Edwards.pdf

I thought it was interesting then, and...
Forum: Policy June 25th 18, 05:44 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Newest Alabama company will develop nuclear engine for Marsspaceship

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018, Jeff Findley wrote:

"The international nuclear technology company BWX Technologies,
Inc. opened a Huntsville office Thursday to begin developing
products...
Forum: Policy June 24th 18, 06:34 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Newest Alabama company will develop nuclear engine for Marsspaceship

"The international nuclear technology company BWX Technologies, Inc. opened a
Huntsville office Thursday to begin developing products for the aerospace and
military including a nuclear...
Forum: Policy June 10th 18, 04:25 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Bacteria Can Eat NASA's Spaceship-Cleaning Products

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/06/bacteria-can-eat-the-cleaning-products-nasa-uses-to-sterilize-its-spaceships/562016/
Forum: Policy June 9th 18, 05:17 AM Posted to sci.space.policy
Street View on Space Station !

How does one zoom out to see more than a disorientating interior?

Google satellite image, zoom out enough to see Earth as a planet, and a
sidebar appears with different planets to visit, one is...
Forum: Space Station April 17th 18, 05:49 AM Posted to sci.space.station
OK I've decided

To delete this and the news group as being totally useless, and try
to find something else to read without having to resort to browsing
web pages set out in illogical orders for those with 10...
Forum: Space Station April 7th 18, 04:09 AM Posted to sci.space.station
Space calendar etc

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes some sites now won't let you use them if you kill their adverts.
This includes catch up video sites as well. I have no issue with
adverts, its the...