Search: Posts made by: Starboard
Forum: Amateur Astronomy October 29th 07, 11:23 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Updated 17P/Holmes Observations

Very nice Chris. Thanks.

Errol
Pasnola.org
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 11th 07, 09:55 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Detecting a dark spot -

David Knisely wrote:
Well, from the book AMATEUR ASTRONOMER'S HANDBOOK (J.B. Sidgwick)
OBSERVATIONAL EXAMPLES OF RESOLUTION OF CERTAIN EXTENDED
DETAIL

David,

Thanks for the data.
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 11th 07, 09:42 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Detecting a dark spot -

How would someone go about calculating the theoretical limit of the
smallest dark spot detectable (naked eye) for any given diameter
aperture? Not resolving two spots (as in using Dawes...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 11th 07, 01:17 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Detecting a dark spot -

Detecting a dark spot -

How would someone go about calculating the theoretical limit of the
smallest dark spot detectable (naked eye) for any given diameter
aperture? Not resolving two spots (as in...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 10th 07, 03:11 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Pluto is a planet again..

Greg wrote:
You know, Chris, we've had this discussion what? four times now?
every time you trot out these half-baked ideas and I patiently explain
that there is a real problem that...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 7th 07, 01:48 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Orion LaserMate Collimator- Recommendations

Orion is advertising a new Laser Collimator in which the tube includes a
rear port with a target screen showing both emitted and reflected beams,
permitting adjustments of the primary from the...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 4th 07, 11:43 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Quickly learn the secrets to start or expand your astral travel...

I've only traveled by astral projection once, but I got to sit by
Shirley MacLaine!
Marty

I too astral projected once. And went straight to the first bar I
could find.

Left shortly after...
Forum: UK Astronomy March 4th 07, 04:31 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Posted By Starboard
Totality Exposed

The lunar eclipse is due to the absence of solar radiation and Not,do
you hear this Tony ,Not because the moon is hidden in the Earth's
shadow as you state.

Thanks for posting Oriel. The...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 4th 07, 04:31 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Posted By Starboard
Totality Exposed

The lunar eclipse is due to the absence of solar radiation and Not,do
you hear this Tony ,Not because the moon is hidden in the Earth's
shadow as you state.

Thanks for posting Oriel. The...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 4th 07, 04:05 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Lunar eclipse pix

how do you keep the camera steady at the eyepiece?.......I find that the
vast majority of my pix are blurred cos of my hands shaking.....
have been looking at a number of adaptors but as my old...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 4th 07, 03:06 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Lunar eclipse pix

Fine Moon pics! Very sharp and well resolved.

I posted a higher res picture...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 4th 07, 03:25 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Lunar eclipse pix

Managed to get a few shots of the eclipse.

http://pasnola.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=878&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

Errol
www.pasnola.org
Forum: UK Astronomy February 23rd 07, 12:09 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Posted By Starboard
M48/NGC 2548 - Great seeing but poor transparency

Great shot. I'd like to see more.

Thanks,.

Errol
www.pasnola.org
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 23rd 07, 12:09 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Posted By Starboard
M48/NGC 2548 - Great seeing but poor transparency

Great shot. I'd like to see more.

Thanks,.

Errol
www.pasnola.org
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 22nd 07, 12:02 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Orion Q-70 32mm 2" eyepiece: quick report

I did a further test of this the next clear night, and was surprised that
the Q-70's star images were actually quite a bit "tighter" and cleaner
than those yielded by my Orion Stratus 21mm...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 21st 07, 11:53 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Theta Orionis: Website focus on Trapezium

don't remember ever seeing f in the 8". Well maybe once. My skies
are bad and I don't travel much.
Errol

Both e and f are routinely visible in my 8" f/6. It would be VERY unusual
if...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 21st 07, 02:20 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Cheap but good scope for a newby...

HI Errol:

OOps..I hit that "send" button by mistake. Anyhow...here's a link to
my full review on Astromart:

http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=93

This is a...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 21st 07, 01:57 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Cheap but good scope for a newby...

Here you go:
http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4644&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1...
That one or her equatorially mounted sister would make a great first
telescope.
Unk Rod

Rod,

That...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 21st 07, 12:20 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
When averted vision doesn't work for me:

Methinks you are confusing the term "averted vision" with "perverted
vision." ;)

Yep. And a pornographic, I mean - photographic - memory to go with
it.
( o Y o ) :-)
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 20th 07, 10:07 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
When averted vision doesn't work for me:

It appears you were in this situation:
http://gpsinformation.info/main/TurnYourHead.jpg

YEAH! Just like that poor sucker in the picture...

Next time I'm wearing me some mirror shades.

Errol
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 20th 07, 10:01 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
When averted vision doesn't work for me:

Miss the French Quarter? If I remember correctly, you stated to me in
another thread that you used to live in Lafayette.

I might like to go down there one night when skies are clear and
Saturn's in...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 20th 07, 08:23 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
When averted vision doesn't work for me:

I remember the *first* time I tried using averted vision to look at a
fuzzy. I was disappointed. I said to myself "this ain't no way to look
at something."

But time went on and I got to where *I...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 20th 07, 12:51 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Using a green filter to combat light pollution

It might help a bit with sodium lights, but it is not so good against
the bright green mercury line ar 546nm and at best the in band
transmission of the dye based filter is about 50% so you are...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 20th 07, 02:01 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Using a green filter to combat light pollution

I've usually observed Saturn without filters; but this was prior to
getting a 12 inch scope. More light could make things a bit more
interesting . . .

My thoughts exactly. With the 8", I...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy February 20th 07, 12:35 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Starboard
Orion Q-70 32mm 2" eyepiece: quick report

My tests of the Q-70 convince me I will keep it and not trade up to
the OptiLuxe.
AstroApp

I read a few favorable reviews on Cloudy Nights forum last night,
after which, I came real close to...