Search: Posts made by: Rick Johnson[_2_]
Forum: Astro Pictures August 13th 14, 05:09 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: The strange case of UGC 5600 and UGC 5609

UGC 5600 is a very strange, possibly polar ring galaxy in northern Draco
about 130 million light-years distant. It is classed as S0? by NED and
is surrounded by a faint ring. It also has a faint...
Forum: Astro Pictures August 11th 14, 06:39 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 3090

NGC 3090 appears to be the anchoring galaxy for a loose group of
galaxies about 300 million light-years from us. I find two groups listed
at NED, WBL 248 consists of the 7 major galaxies in the...
Forum: Astro Pictures August 9th 14, 01:56 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: Sh2-261

Sh2-261 also known as Lower's Nebula is an HII region probably
illuminated by the O7.5 runaway star HD 41997. That is the bright blue
star toward the top center of my image just above the...
Forum: Astro Pictures August 7th 14, 05:24 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 3367 and NGC 3377 with some of its globular star clusters

NGC 3367 is a rather messed up barred spiral in Leo north of M105 about
150 million light-years away. To show so much detail at that distance
you know it is large, about 115,000 light-years across...
Forum: Astro Pictures August 5th 14, 02:40 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: UGC 4261 Merging Galaxies

Sloan gives it two designations SDSS J081056.60+364942.6 and SDSS
J081056.19+364941.3 besides one matching the position of UGC 4261 in the
UGC catalog, SDSS J081056.11+364945.4. Oddly NED doesn't...
Forum: Astro Pictures August 1st 14, 09:00 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 2420

NGC 2420 is an open cluster in Gemini not far from the far more famous
Eskimo Nebula. It is another Herschel 400 object I picked up. It was
discovered by William Herschel on November 19, 1783...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 29th 14, 10:40 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: vdB 14

HD 21291 is a B9Ia super giant star that illuminates a nearby reflection
nebula to the southwest. The combination is vdB 14. For the position
van den Berg used the illuminating star's position. ...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 28th 14, 06:53 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: vdB 87

HD 52329 is the likely illuminating star of vdB 87 a reflection and
emission nebula in southern Monoceros southwest of M50. The distance to
HD 52329 is shown by Hipparcos as 530 light-years. It...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 26th 14, 06:56 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: FU Orionis, Barnard 35 and reflection nebula GN 05.42.6

GN 05.42.6 is a rather yellow reflection nebula around the pre-main
sequence star FU Orionis. The star is spectral type G3Iav so is a
mostly white star with a tinge of yellow. Apparently its...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 24th 14, 06:23 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 1954

NGC 1954 is a galaxy in Lepus I had to image for two reasons. One it is
neat, and secondly or maybe primarily I finished building my first
telescope in March of 1954 (started in 1953), a 6" f/12...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 22nd 14, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: UGC 6309

UGC 6309 is a strange galaxy in Ursa Major south of the bowl of the "Big
Dipper" portion of the constellation, 140 to 160 million light-years
away. It is classed as SB?. It certainly is a barred...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 22nd 14, 03:39 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: Holmberg III

I got my eyes crossed UGC 8308 is Holmberg VIII not Holmberg III.
Holmberg III is UGC 4841. Sorry for the mistake. I was off only by a "V"

Rick

On 7/20/2014 1:26 AM, Rick Johnson wrote:
Erik...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 20th 14, 07:26 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: Holmberg III

Erik Holmberg (1908-2000) was a Swedish astronomer who studied galaxies.
In fact he was the driving force behind the UGC galaxy catalog. Oddly
8 of the galaxies in that catalog also are 8 of the...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 18th 14, 06:34 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 2266

NGC 2266 is another Herschel 400 open cluster. William Herschel
discovered it on December 7, 1785 with his trusty 20' reflector with an
18.7" mirror. It is located in Gemini 1.8 degrees north of...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 16th 14, 05:58 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 1857

NGC 1857 is a small open cluster in Auriga about 18,700 light-years
distant according to WEBDA. It is an original Herschel 400 object which
put it on my to-do list when nothing better was in...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 14th 14, 07:47 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: MRK 273 Galaxies in Collision

Typo in the Subject line Should read MRK 273

On 7/14/2014 12:41 AM, Rick Johnson wrote:
Markaryan 273 is a well studied but mostly ignored by amateurs galactic
merger in progress located in...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 14th 14, 06:41 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: MRK 276 Galaxies in Collision

Markaryan 273 is a well studied but mostly ignored by amateurs galactic
merger in progress located in Ursa Major about 3 degrees northwest of
M101. Redshift puts it about 516 million light-years...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 12th 14, 07:14 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: WBL 334 and a lot more

3705 was bigger than my 5 second framing shot indicated. I thought it
was entirely in the frame but once I went to process it (this was taken
last January) I found I'd left parts of it off frame. ...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 12th 14, 05:59 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: WBL 334 and a lot more

FGC 1253 and IC 696 are a couple of the members of the WBL 334 galaxy
group which is part of the much larger ZwCl 1126.3+0913 galaxy cluster.
NED lists WBL 334 as consisting of 6 members though I...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 10th 14, 08:56 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 2793 Another Arp didn't include but could have

Since I mentioned Arp 6, the Bear Paw Galaxy, here's a link to it at
0.5" per pixel. It dates back to 2008 when my image processing software
and skills were both rather limited. I need to...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 10th 14, 06:37 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 2793 Another Arp didn't include but could have

NGC 2793 is another galaxy I'm surprised Arp didn't find a place for in
his Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies. It certainly is peculiar and quite
similar to Arp 6/NGC 2537 but with "wind effects". He...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 8th 14, 07:02 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: KKH 037 A Dwarf Maffei 1 Galaxy

KKH 037 (MAILYAN 016/LEDA 095597) is the northernmost member of the
Maffei group of nearby galaxies. It is located a bit less than 10
degrees from the pole in Camelopardalis. Being so far north...
Forum: Astro Pictures July 6th 14, 06:40 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 2141

On 7/6/2014 11:17 AM, wrote:
neat

Thanks That was a super easy one compared to most of what I do.

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net
Forum: Astro Pictures July 2nd 14, 06:04 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

NGC 2141 is a rather old open cluster in Orion's Club. It is listed as
being 13,100 light-years away by WEBDA. That puts it far beyond the
Orion Arm. I'd expect it to be greatly dimmed and...
Forum: Astro Pictures June 27th 14, 07:50 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Rick Johnson[_2_]
ASTRO: NGC 6503 Yet another lost on the hard drive

NGC 6503 is a nice flocculent galaxy in eastern Draco and thought to be
about 17 million light-years distant based on HST images of its red
giant stars. Most sources call it a dwarf though NED...