Search: Posts made by: George Normandin[_1_]
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 16th 09, 03:20 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rod Mollise's recovery status

"Chris L Peterson" wrote
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:31:00 -0500, "Albert Alderson"
wrote:

Not sure. Stroke I heard, but that hasn't been confirmed. Apparently mild
so he's in...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 4th 09, 11:57 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Levy moving to Astronomy

"W. eWatson" wrote
Times are a changin'. ......
...... The question is how do you appeal to newcomers?

--
W. eWatson

Good question. A few years...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 4th 09, 11:50 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Levy moving to Astronomy

"Curtis Croulet" wrote.....
I know nothing about the status of David Levy with S&T -- whether he's
moving totally to Astronomy or doing both mags. I see him annually at the
Starry...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 3rd 09, 03:56 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Levy moving to Astronomy

From the latest (Jan 2nd, 2009) "Astronomy" magazine news letter: "In
January 2009 world-renowned amateur astronomer and comet discoverer David H.
Levy joins Astronomy magazine as a Contributing...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 23rd 08, 09:22 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Possible meteorite hit?

"Dave Typinski" wrote
Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:31:18 GMT, "White Space Trash"
wrote:

Disgruntled neighbour?

Seriously disgruntled if they broke the...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 22nd 08, 10:26 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Possible meteorite hit?

"Chris L Peterson" wrote
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:39:22 -0500, Dave Typinski
wrote:

On the other hand, maybe they simply meant "chipped a small divot out
of the floor's...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 22nd 08, 06:08 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Possible meteorite hit?

I just received an e-mail (11:30 am EST 12/22/08) from my friends at
Kopernik Observatory (www.kopernik.org) asking for help examining a possible
meteorite fall from a few hours ago. My question...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy October 26th 08, 04:07 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Solar h-alpha: dedicated scope, or attached filter?

"Michael Tee" wrote

"George Normandin" wrote in message ...
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
Forum: Amateur Astronomy October 26th 08, 03:58 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Solar h-alpha: dedicated scope, or attached filter?

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote

On Oct 22, 5:17 pm, "George Normandin"
wrote:
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy October 22nd 08, 11:17 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Solar h-alpha: dedicated scope, or attached filter?

Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

George N
Forum: Amateur Astronomy October 17th 08, 03:53 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Clear Sky Chart - the solution......

Thanks to the folks who recommended Firefox as a solution to my problems
with CSC, and while I'm sure that it would be a great idea to switch from
IE, here's the answer to the *real problem* I was...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy October 16th 08, 05:20 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Clear Sky Chart problems?????

Well MS did it to me..... pushed a bunch of updates to Vista and now I can't
view Clear Sky Charts. Their website sez that this is because an add blocker
is set and that I need to tell the...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy September 26th 08, 09:45 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Using a ST-4 in a modern (Vista) world

"Chris L Peterson" wrote
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:29:30 GMT, "George Normandin" wrote:

What do you mean that CCDSoft will only connect to one camera at a time?
Surely it has no...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy September 26th 08, 06:29 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Using a ST-4 in a modern (Vista) world

I have an ST-4 that I've not used in about 5 years, and for reasons beyond
this discussion, I'd like to use it with a guide scope to guide an STL 1301E
imaging camera on various telescopes.

I...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy August 23rd 08, 04:21 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Converting Canon CRW (RAW) Files to FITS

"Terry B" wrote

For what it's worth (maybe not much): I've had problems using iris to
directly open Canon raw files. It will in fact do it, but everything
turns out way too green....
Forum: Amateur Astronomy August 22nd 08, 02:16 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Converting Canon CRW (RAW) Files to FITS

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:18:09 -0700, "W. eWatson"
Forum: Amateur Astronomy August 7th 08, 09:57 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

"George Normandin" wrote

"ukastronomy" wrote
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros..........
Martin Nicholson, Daventry, England.

Martin,

Yep the Rosette is a great...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy August 5th 08, 06:32 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

"ukastronomy" wrote
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

I had been observing for a number of years before I even realised that
the constellation of Monoceros existed. It was several more...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy July 30th 08, 03:30 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
what's it worth?

"Clay Able" wrote
I have an old, metal tubed white 60mm, 700mm FL Tasco.....

A friend came up with a good use of old Tasco refractors: she suggests
mounting several of different sizes...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy July 30th 08, 03:09 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
best places to live for amateur astronomers

"Davoud" wrote
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from moving to a dark-sky site,
merely pointing out that one needs to be circumspect; it's not a
perfect world. Too hot. Too...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy July 30th 08, 01:40 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
best places to live for amateur astronomers

"George" wrote

About 5 years ago I heard a talk at NEAF by Todd Gross (former 'scope
reviewer' and Boston TV weather person) on this vary subject. One place that
he mentioned as having great...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy July 29th 08, 04:00 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Stellafane 2008 weather?

Well it seems 'the models are not consistent' when it comes to forecasting
the weather for this weekend's "73rd Annual Stellafane Telescope Makers'
Convention". Some Weather Gurus say 'clear', some...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy July 29th 08, 03:39 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Selling Unitron 62mm (Model 114) at Stellafane swap meet

For sale and pick-up only at Stellafane 2008: Unitron Model 114, (mid-1950's
era?) 2.4-inch (62mm) alt-az refractor, complete with mount, tripod, Unitron
eyepieces, and two wood storage boxes. See...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy July 28th 08, 08:32 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Stellafane

"Mark S. Holden" wrote
I wonder if John Dobson will be there?
Is he still planning to travel this year? Last I'd heard he was
recovering from a stroke.
I'm guessing...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy July 28th 08, 08:08 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Stellafane

"Dennis Woos" wrote ...
The forecast is looking more like it will be "Rain-afane 2008".......

I hope the forecast will be proven wrong.......I hope to see you there -
stop by the...