Search: Posts made by: David Lesher
Forum: History June 4th 21, 04:09 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
"Sunburst and Luminary"

Just read Don Eyles' book on writing the code for the LM Guidance
Computer.

I recommend it for anyone interested in the Guidance Computer and
the people who made it perform amazing feats.

It's...
Forum: History August 28th 20, 04:08 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
SpaceX Falcon 9 first stage reuse economics

Jeff Findley writes:

I've been in a situation where the part of the company I
work for bought another company and their management came to
dominate the...
Forum: History February 2nd 16, 08:01 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
News out of Armstong, another loss

Fred J. McCall writes:

I'm very sorry to hear this. I never knew him, but I definitely
remember (and miss) Mary. My deepest sympathies to the family.

Who has been in bad...
Forum: History July 22nd 15, 06:21 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Time features Apollo computer pioneer Margaret Hamilton

Jeff Findley writes:

Nice article. I've seen articles about Hamilton before, but this one
had a few tidbits I didn't know.

I saw her picture in a book several...
Forum: History November 12th 14, 09:07 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Grissom splashdown on TV?

Jan Philips writes:

There wasn't any live TV of Gus' recovery, was there?

Not a chance...Gemini 6A, the "on again, off again, try it now"
mission was the first with video...
Forum: History May 8th 14, 05:29 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Bill Dana

http://www.kvoa.com/news/legendary-test-pilot-bill-dana-dies-in-arizona/

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Famed research test pilot Bill Dana, who flew
the X-15 rocket plane and other pioneering aircraft during...
Forum: History May 2nd 14, 11:17 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
SCA retired

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/04/gallery-nasas-shuttle-carrying-747-makes-final-journey-to-museum/

--
A host is a host from coast to
& no one will talk...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/us/john-c-houbolt-lunar-pioneer-dies-at-95.html

John C. Houbolt, Lunar Pioneer, Dies at 95

Houbolt was the champion of lunar orbit rendezvous.
--
A host is a...
Forum: History March 2nd 13, 03:37 AM Posted to sci.space.history

"Fevric J. Glandules" writes:

OTOH it's far more informative when I'm presumed wrong and am corrected.

Sometimes the best way of digging out information is to post...
Forum: History December 29th 12, 08:18 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Santa Susana Rocketdyne is still a mess

"Ken S. Tucker" writes:

Bob could lobby for Big Oil. Back on the topic of the legacy of nuclear
power and space, Mr. Lesher began.

I'd be inclined to be concerned...
Forum: History December 20th 12, 07:29 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Santa Susana Rocketdyne is still a mess

A federal study shows hundreds of hot spots at the 2,850-acre
facility, overlooking the west San Fernando Valley, half a
century after a partial nuclear meltdown there.

By Louis Sahagun, Los Angeles...
Forum: History November 14th 12, 06:14 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Large SRB test site in Florida

Turns out a friend has been there. He worked for a guy who had a
contract to make some sounding rockets for NASA. They visited
the site as a possible manufacturing location.

The only use being made...
Forum: History November 14th 12, 05:33 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Large SRB test site in Florida

Philip Lantz writes:

David Lesher wrote:

How can you have a silo when the water table is a few feet below
ground level?

I thought the same thing, and apparently others...
Forum: History November 13th 12, 06:18 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Large SRB test site in Florida

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" writes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/aerojet-dade-abandoned-rocket-facility-2012-10

Anyone have more details?

How can you have a silo...
Forum: History September 4th 12, 08:42 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
LM Rendezvous Radar

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" writes:

The LM was under insane weight limits, they were shaving heads off
bolts, etc. Why was the heavy radar on it, and not the...
Forum: History September 4th 12, 05:19 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
LM Rendezvous Radar

So the LM had a rendezvous radar & the CSM a transponder. I never
really grokked why.

The LM was under insane weight limits, they were shaving heads off
bolts, etc. Why was the heavy radar on it,...
Forum: History August 8th 12, 07:51 PM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
photo links?

Is there a URK where I can easily grab MSL photos? I keep
getting steered to some site full of popups, javascript & such.

--
A host is a host from coast to
& no...

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" writes:

And independent forensics still can't substantiate a damn thing as to
men walking on the moon.

They can and they have. What...
Forum: History May 11th 12, 04:59 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Apollo Lunar Surface Communications Requirements

Philip Lantz writes:

I still don't know why the VHF comm systems were AM, not FM/PM.
Why would they have chosen to have to have modulators & such
rather than use...
Forum: History May 8th 12, 12:34 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
Apollo Lunar Surface Communications Requirements

Obviousman writes:

From NASA Technical Note TN D-6974 Apollo Experience Report - Lunar
Module Communication System available for download free from the NASA
Technical...
Forum: History February 19th 12, 05:51 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
50th at the Cape

John Glenn reunites with 50-year-old Mercury team

By MARCIA DUNN, AP Aerospace Writer
``
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) John Glenn joined the proud, surviving veterans of
NASA's Project Mercury on...
Forum: History January 30th 12, 12:56 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
RIP Pat Flannery?

Dale Carlson writes:

The most memorable incident, for me anyway, involved his toe being
amputated, making it easy to find with Google Groups. In 2005, Pat was
in the...
Forum: Policy October 29th 11, 03:28 AM Posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Posted By David Lesher
RIP Pat Flannery?

"Val Kraut" writes:

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

If...
Forum: History October 29th 11, 03:28 AM Posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Posted By David Lesher
RIP Pat Flannery?

"Val Kraut" writes:

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

If...
Forum: History September 18th 11, 12:07 AM Posted to sci.space.history
Posted By David Lesher
KH-9 at NASM

There was a one-day showing af a KH-9 {Hexagon, aka Big
Bird} at the NASM parking lot at Dulles. The best part was
eavesdropping as there were multiple folks who'd worked on it
telling others. Some...