Search: Posts made by: Glen Youman
Forum: Astro Pictures December 7th 10, 01:06 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
NGC 488 "reprocessed"

Who?

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 14:50:38 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

I was bothered by a funny blotch on the right side of the galaxy, partly
over the image. I covered it up in my...
Forum: Astro Pictures December 3rd 10, 09:52 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
Arp 157 reprocessed

vibrant!

Is that an astroid at the 7:00 position near frame bottom?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:27:55 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

I've been slowly reworking old images as my...
Forum: Astro Pictures December 1st 10, 08:00 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: NGC 2146

Two too brief periods of clear sky allowed me to collect luminance
data to replace poor luminance data collected in 2005.

Blinking the frames I selected for use was quite interesting as it
showed...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 26th 10, 10:06 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: NGC 2841 A flocculent galaxy

I imaged this one in 2005 and overexeposed the core when processing.
Need to revisit (so many galaxies, so little time).

Last evening was prefect but unfortunately house was filled with
family,...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 17th 10, 06:16 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: SH2-282

Rick -

How dark is your sky, I ask because your exposure time seems to
indicate dark sky's and the ClearSkyChart for Mantrap Lake doesn't
have a light pollution map.

I would love to live in a dark...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 17th 10, 04:46 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: NGC 1788

One of my favorites acquired during my blue period (8)

NGC 1788 (aka Ced 40, Lbn 916)
Orion
Penryn, California
October 2006
FS-128 (ag, ST-4)
ST-2000XM LRGB 15 minute subs

A small reflection...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 17th 10, 04:34 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: SH2-282

Excellent image -

I haven't imaged the winter Sharpless objects, I tend to favor
wintergalaxies and the bright nebulae.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:47:01 -0600, Rick Johnson...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 16th 10, 03:42 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: UGC 10822

For luminance, I consider 12-10 minute subs a minimum for bright
objects. When a dim object attracts my attention and my imaging
plans allow I'll devote many more hours to the object. if plans...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 15th 10, 07:44 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: UGC 10822

UGC 10822 - Draco Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy
Draco
Penryn, California
May 2009
FS-128 (ag, St-4)
ST-2000XM L 10 minute subs

UGC 10822 was discovered in 1954 by Albert Wilson at Lowell
Observatory, it...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 15th 10, 07:05 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: Sharpless 2-157

I imaged this one with my f4.5 90mm scope. I overexposed or
overprocessed and had horrendous gradients. Would have been happy if
mine had turned out half as well as yours did.

On Sun, 14 Nov...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 15th 10, 07:00 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: Arp 249

Interesting galaxy(s), these galaxies are more interesting than
typical galaxies in that each has a story to tell and the viewer can
hypothesize as much as he/she wants .

Speaking of duds (if...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 13th 10, 05:17 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: IC 417

IC 417 ( Sh2-234 )
Auriga
Penryn, California
October 2006/November 2009
FS-128 (ag, ST-4)
ST-2000XM LRGB 15 minute subs - additional lum added 2009

An emission nebula in Auriga located to the...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 13th 10, 05:32 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: NGC 1579

I first imaged ngc 1579 with film and one look at the result had me
scrambling to find out what type nebula I had imaged, it was obvious
it was not an emission nebula.

There was a French...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 12th 10, 08:36 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: NGC 1579

NGC 1579 Image down sampled 0.5x
Perseus
Penryn, California
October 2008
M 250 @ f 9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME LRGB - 10 minute subs

A large area of dust. NGC 1579 is a reflection nebula...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 12th 10, 08:24 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: SH-187 reprocessed

A more color and detail than I achieved. good job.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 02:40:45 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

I redid this last June then forgot to post it. Doing some...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 11th 10, 05:29 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: NGC 7800

NGC 7800
Pegasus
Penryn, California
September 2008
M 250 @ f 9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME LRGB 10 minute subs

NGC 7800 is a mag. 14 type Im irregular galaxy, distance is 66 Mly.

Has the appearance of...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 11th 10, 05:24 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: SN 2010jl in UGC 5189A

you should submit that image to spaceweather.com and maybe apod.

Your effort with the synthesized blue channel worked for you, good
job.

I'm going to start playing with scripts so that I can do...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 11th 10, 05:47 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: UGC 9242

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 02:19:44 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Flat Galaxy Catalog is another catalog I've been mining for targets.
This is one on that list. I've been so tied up...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 10th 10, 05:37 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: UGC 4305

UGC 4305 - Holmberg II
Ursa Major
Penryn, California
January 2009
FS-128 (ag, St-4)
ST-2000XM LRGB 10 minutes subs

Part of the M 81 group of galaxies, UGC 4305 is classified as Ibm
(irregular,...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 9th 10, 07:15 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: UGC 9242

Ninety some percent of the rain in California occurs between November
and March with the April - June period being unsettled.

In addition, the Central Valley of California drains to the...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 9th 10, 06:37 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: M31

Good image, that camera and scope seem to be a good match.

is 7.3 the native focal ratio for the TOA 150?

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 19:24:03 -0500, Robert Price
wrote:

I was...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 9th 10, 06:34 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: M17

This is a visually pleasing image. B&W works for this object.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 22:26:12 +0100, "Stefan Lilge"
wrote:

I wanted to image some open clusters on September 17 when I...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 9th 10, 06:28 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: IC 5076

Very good image - for some reason, this one was not on my target list
- will correct that problem.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 22:15:50 +0100, "Stefan Lilge"
wrote:

IC 5076 is a reflection...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 9th 10, 06:22 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: The USGC U037 galaxy group

I imaged NGC 295 in 2008 and when checking with Simbad failed to see
the "essential notes" about the confusion between 295 and 296

Need to correct my web site.

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:03:52 -0600,...
Forum: Astro Pictures November 9th 10, 06:14 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Posted By Glen Youman
ASTRO: Another Arp 2 fer: 296 and 299

A great image. did not have this group on my target list.

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:57:48 -0500, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Two smashups -- 5 galaxies -- What a mess that makes. While...