Search: Posts made by: stargene
Forum: Research July 2nd 19, 05:22 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Resolving Mars methane isotopes, as bio probe?

The subject of Martian methane blowouts keeps arising. Assuming
that they will be confirmed, is there any way yet on-site or in-orbit,
to then measure the carbon and oxygen ISOTOPE ratios? ...
Forum: Research November 19th 18, 05:11 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Is higher mass-density at higher Z detectable with current probes?

A question regarding the expansion of the universe:
As the Hyperphysics page @ http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.
edu/hbase/Astro/redshf.html shows, the mass density rho([email protected])
= rho(Mz=0)x(1+z)^3, for...
Forum: Research August 25th 18, 12:50 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Actual linkage between tectonic-mantle motions and lunar

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 12:14:11 AM UTC-7, stargene wrote:
Is there an overarching link between the fact that, on the one

Okay, I can understand how the closeness between...
Forum: Research August 17th 18, 08:14 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Actual linkage between tectonic-mantle motions and lunar recession speeds?

Is there an overarching link between the fact that, on the one hand: (1)
plate tectonic motions range typically between a few mm/year to about
100 mm/year, & (2) mantle convection speeds average...
Forum: Research November 27th 17, 06:41 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Apparent equality between Jovian esc. velocities and Sol's esc. vel.

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:01:01 PM UTC-8, stargene wrote:
Okay, I've never heard anything about this before=E2=80=A6Somebody =
please
explain this:

In scanning the wikipedia...
Forum: Research November 26th 17, 05:00 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Apparent equality between Jovian esc. velocities and Sol's esc. vel.

Okay, I've never heard anything about this before=E2=80=A6Somebody =
please
explain this:

In scanning the wikipedia entry on "Escape Velocity", at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity , I...
Forum: Research November 17th 17, 07:27 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Addition of grav'l potentials?

An impossible question?

I would like to know if there is a straightforward way of calculating
the sum of two different gravitational potentials U and V at some point
x.
Forum: Research May 25th 15, 02:42 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Orbital optical interferometry?

Many years ago, I would read pieces in both professional and popular
science journals that predicted that we would eventually have two or more
optical telescopes in orbit (presumably in Lagrange...
Forum: Research December 27th 14, 08:44 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Improved birthdate of the universe?

This seems an appropriate query for the 'birth' of a new year.

In early December, 2014, Nazzareno Mandolesi, the lead author of
the Planck Probe team announced that they now have a 'new...
Forum: Research August 26th 13, 09:45 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Does high no. of nomad exoplanets change est. for long term interstellar interactions?

Strigari et al at the Kavli Inst. (see http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/february/slac-nomad-planets-022312.html ) say that evidence
supports the idea that starless, nomad planets may swarm
our...
Forum: Research May 27th 13, 07:45 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Orbital rescue "tug"... how practical?

Hi...
I am not at all versed in the complexities, energy
requirements, and economics of spacecraft orbits,
either near-earth or within the overall Lagrange
orbital zoo. But the recent demise of the...
Forum: Research February 9th 13, 10:44 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Evolution of earth's minerals via plate tectonics?

This seems to be a borderline astronomy question.

Where can I find more on the subject below?
Anything on the net?...

A few years back, I found an article on the net
which said that the entire...
Forum: Research June 6th 12, 08:12 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Virial Theorem and Dark Matter conclusion

It strikes me that if your hypothesis were correct, that the virial
theorem is not a valid tool to use in determining the presence or
absence of dark matter in at least spiral galaxies, and...
Forum: Research August 14th 11, 10:31 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
How does our Moon stabilize the Earth's spin vector?

Conundrum....
Any number of sites state that the presence of our moon over billions
of years has more or less stabilized the direction of the earth's spin
as it rotates around its own axis. The...
Forum: Research December 10th 10, 01:49 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Lagrangian points in formation of proto-Jovians?

Work by Canup et al, among others, implicates Lagrangian points in
the Giant Impact Hypothesis for the formation of the moon from a Mars
sized impactor which would have formed in the L4 or L5 points...
Forum: Research December 8th 10, 10:59 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Luminous mass fractions in superclusters?

A question about typical galactic superclusters, like Horologium,
Shapley, or
Hydra-Centaurus:

Disregarding their Dark Matter components entirely, and looking only
at the
normal luminous mass...
Forum: Research November 5th 10, 01:16 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Resemblance between Itokawa and Comet Hartley 2

Has anybody else noticed a resemblance between the asteroid Itokawa
and today's EPOXY photos of Comet Hartley 2? Both objects are of
similar size and show very rough, rubble strewn ends and yet...
Forum: Astronomy Misc July 29th 10, 09:20 AM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By stargene
Good arguments supporting reality of Global Warming

With Congress's recent clueless shelving of any legislation in
response to global
warming, I found the following synopsis of arguments in support of
climatologists'
warnings about the issue to be...
Forum: Research July 26th 10, 09:01 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Grav. potential between arbitrary groups of mass in the universe?

Is there a very general equation(s?) for calculating the gravitational
potential experienced by each member of a pair of roughly equal
masses (stars or galaxies, say) at any separation R, whether or...
Forum: Research February 22nd 10, 11:54 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Asteroid P/2010 A2: When was the collision?

snip

The asteroid is in the main belt, perihelion is 2 AU, it never comes
near the Earth.

snip
Regards

Carsten Nielsen
Forum: Research February 3rd 10, 08:01 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Asteroid P/2010 A2: When was the collision?

I just saw today's image of the strange tail of 'asteroid' P/2010 A2
on
the APOD website at
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
If, as many suggest, its unique appearance is the result...
Forum: Research January 26th 10, 08:28 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Calculating orbital velocities of binaries?

Actually, yes, for my own arcane reasons, testing a half-vast model I
tinker
with, I am working to extremely high accuracy. Also, thank you for
the
correction. I had made a math typo error in my...
Forum: Research January 26th 10, 08:27 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Calculating orbital velocities of binaries?

I am just posting a typo correction here to (3). It should read

(3) (v1)^2 = r1 / R x GM2 / R ,

and not:

However, [[using some equations from a nice physics web site]]
yields a...
Forum: Research January 26th 10, 08:07 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Calculating orbital velocities of binaries?

Socratic dialog... I was afraid of this. You should probably just e-
mail
me the hemlock right now. I'm retired, an amateur and within inches
of seventy, and my normal bumfuzzlement has increased...
Forum: Research January 21st 10, 02:46 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By stargene
Calculating orbital velocities of binaries?

Hi - -

I need real help on what I hope is an elementary problem in stellar
binary motion. For simplicity's sake I imagine a pair of stars in a
stable, perfectly circular orbit. Their masses are M1...