Search: Posts made by: William Pence
Forum: FITS December 5th 07, 08:47 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Status of New FITS Standard

This is an update on the status of the proposed new Standard document
that precisely defines the required format for FITS data files. A
draft of the proposed new version 3.0 of the document was...
Forum: FITS November 9th 07, 10:30 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Start of the FITS Euro3D Public Comment Period

This is to announce the start of the 30-day Public Comment Period on the
Euro3D FITS convention. This convention has been submitted for
inclusion in the 'Registry of FITS Conventions' which is...
Forum: FITS October 17th 07, 08:10 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard (2)

Don Wells wrote:
While examining the differences document,
[at http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_draft.html]
I encountered two sentences in
7.3.5 that seem to me to be inconsistent. The first is...
Forum: FITS October 17th 07, 07:03 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

Don Wells wrote:
I have examined the 'Recommended Changes' document dated 07-18, and find
that the recommendations are acceptable. My compliments to the chefs!

but,

Item 21 recommends...
Forum: FITS October 9th 07, 08:41 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

This is a final call to submit any comments or concerns you may have
about the proposed changes to the FITS Standard format definition
document. The public comment period on these proposed changes...
Forum: FITS September 20th 07, 11:42 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] The CONTINUE and HIERARCH Conventions Public CommentPeriods

LC's NoSpam Newsreading account wrote:
I have inspected the PDF description of the HIERARCH Convention in the
registry and I have the following questions/comments.

3) Although defined...
Forum: FITS September 20th 07, 05:10 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] CDELTn

Francois Ochsenbein wrote:
And on my side I'm perfectly happy with whatever convention for denegerate
axes -- I was just troubled by the fact that fv refuses a FITS file
having a CDELTi = 0 for...
Forum: FITS September 10th 07, 10:29 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] The CONTINUE and HIERARCH Conventions Public CommentPeriods

Rob Seaman wrote:
If we really want to extend FITS to allow longer
keyword names, then I think a much simpler way to do this is to just
allow free-format keyword records in which the "=" can...
Forum: FITS September 10th 07, 08:34 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] The CONTINUE and HIERARCH Conventions Public CommentPeriods

Robert Hanisch wrote:
The more general HIERARCH convention that is
described in the last half of the document disallows spaces in the
"effective keyword name", so this example does not...
Forum: FITS September 10th 07, 05:45 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] The CONTINUE and HIERARCH Conventions Public CommentPeriods

Robert Hanisch wrote:
The description of the HIERARCH convention is inconsistent, I think,
regarding the length of the component tokens.

At the top of p. 2 it says

"Under the ESO...
Forum: FITS September 6th 07, 05:34 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] The CONTINUE and HIERARCH Conventions Public CommentPeriods

First, a reminder that the Public Comment Period on the CONTINUE keyword
convention will be closing soon.

Second, the Public Comment Period on the the ESO HIERARCH keyword
convention is now...
Forum: FITS September 5th 07, 09:49 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Definition of "deprecated"

As I recall, the definition of "deprecate" was carefully crafted to
satisfy the radio interferometry community. The reason for deprecating
random groups was to prevent their use from spreading...
Forum: FITS August 24th 07, 08:51 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

Keep in mind that if a keyword is officially "deprecated", then we are
telling software developers that they really should change their
software that creates FITS files so that it no longer writes...
Forum: FITS August 24th 07, 07:39 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

This mention of the NEXTEND keyword caused me to rethink what is really
meant by EXTEND = F: EXTEND = T is defined to mean that the FITS file
*is permitted* to have extensions following the...
Forum: FITS August 23rd 07, 08:18 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

Tim Pearson wrote:
Perhaps I am misunderstanding or misremembering something here, but I
think EXTEND=T does actually have a purpose, and to suggest that both
EXTEND=T and EXTEND=F are...
Forum: FITS August 22nd 07, 11:39 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] once FITS always FITS

Here are a few comments on several related recent FITS issues:

1. The EXTEND keyword: Since the STEREO mission has started producing
FITS files with EXTEND = F, it is too late to prohibit this...
Forum: FITS August 21st 07, 10:56 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

The difference here is that I was quoting the revised definition in the
new draft standard, which doesn't allow for the possibility that EXTEND
= F. Given that there are existing FITS files with...
Forum: FITS August 21st 07, 08:36 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

William Thompson wrote:
The SECCHI instrument on the STEREO mission produces some files with table
extensions, and other files which don't. The value of the EXTEND keyword is set
to either T...
Forum: FITS August 20th 07, 10:59 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Question(s) regarding development ofproprietary FITS manipulation software. . .

gberz3 wrote:
Thanks Maren. One question I suppose I've just forgotten to ask: Is
there anything particularly special about the actual graphics content
of a FITS file? Or is it perhaps...
Forum: FITS August 17th 07, 09:21 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

Rob Seaman wrote:
Speaking of which, it is the duplicate keyword requirement that seems
most onerous. To implement this efficiently for all keywords, one
would have to build a hash table...
Forum: FITS August 17th 07, 08:55 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

Rob Seaman wrote:
Bill said:

The "once FITS always FITS" philosophy captures the spirit of FITS,
but
in practice each new version of the FITS Standard has imposed new
requirements...
Forum: FITS August 17th 07, 07:47 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

Steve Allen wrote:
On Fri 2007-08-17T13:18:40 -0400, William Pence hath writ:
1. Keywords that have a value shall not be repeated in a header.

If this is to be implemented with exactly...
Forum: FITS August 17th 07, 06:18 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

Rob Seaman wrote:
William Pence wrote:

One of the proposed changes, however, is to require that the
PCOUNT and GCOUNT keywords must immediately follow the last NAXISn
keyword in...
Forum: FITS August 16th 07, 08:51 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] New DUMP FITS extension

Doug,

The Hinode satellite project is now publicly distributing FITS data
files with this DUMP extension. They apparently saw the DUMP extension
name in the list of proposed extensions in the...
Forum: FITS August 16th 07, 07:56 PM Posted to sci.astro.fits
Posted By William Pence
[fitsbits] New DUMP FITS extension

One of the proposed changes to the FITS Standard is a complete rewrite
of the Appendix F (previously Appendix I) which lists the reserved FITS
extension type names (i.e., the value of the XTENSION...