Search: Posts made by: Steve Willner
Forum: Research November 11th 19, 11:36 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

In article ,
Jos Bergervoet writes:
Yes! So why are only 20 people attending?!

Attendance was far higher than that. The video...
Forum: Research November 2nd 19, 09:50 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

In article , I wrote:
The upshot is that the discrepancy between the local and the CMB
measurements of H_0 is between 4 and 5.7 sigma, depending on how
conservative...
Forum: Research October 19th 19, 09:39 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

In article ,
"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)" writes:
At this level of precision, it's probably not enough to simply
Forum: Research October 15th 19, 09:17 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

In article ,
"Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
writes:

The preprint is 1909.06712

Two additional...
Forum: Research September 27th 19, 02:32 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Is the Universe Younger than We Thought?

In article ,
Nicolaas Vroom writes:
Accordingly to this article:
Forum: Astronomy Misc September 24th 19, 07:17 PM Posted to sci.astro.research,sci.astro
Posted By Steve Willner
New interstellar visitor

Details at
https://www.iau.org/news/pressreleases/detail/iau1910/?lang

This one looks like a comet, but observations are just beginning.

--
Help keep our newsgroup healthy; please don't feed the...
Forum: Research September 24th 19, 07:17 PM Posted to sci.astro.research,sci.astro
Posted By Steve Willner
New interstellar visitor

Details at
https://www.iau.org/news/pressreleases/detail/iau1910/?lang

This one looks like a comet, but observations are just beginning.

--
Help keep our newsgroup healthy; please don't feed the...
Forum: Research August 23rd 19, 06:10 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
electronic-only publication at Astronomy and Astrophysics

In article ,
"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)" writes:
For example, take http://aa.springer.de/papers/7318003/2300680/small.htm
Forum: Research May 11th 19, 07:15 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Reionization

[Moderator's note: Apologies for the delay in posting this. -P.H.]

Not long ago, we had some discussion here of reionization. I've just
seen a terrific colloquium by Steve Finkelstein on the...
Forum: Research May 8th 19, 07:02 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Revise age of the universe?

In article ,
"Richard D. Saam" writes:
The main point of the Space Telescope Institute work
https://arxiv.org/abs/1903.07603
is...
Forum: Research April 25th 19, 11:05 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
EHT Picture of the black hole in M87

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:
Are there any EHT candidate radio galaxies near enough to image with the
spin axis...
Forum: Astronomy Misc April 17th 19, 09:36 PM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Steve Willner
Black Holes

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:

No. [Black holes] will only consume any stars that happen to
venture too close and find...
Forum: Astronomy Misc April 17th 19, 09:21 PM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Steve Willner
The "photo" of the black hole has been retouched!

In article ,
writes:
The original is on the screen of Katie Bouman's laptop:
Forum: Research March 28th 19, 10:56 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
supermassive black holes at z 7

In article ,
jacobnavia writes:
A team of astronomers have conducted a search for distant super massive
black holes and they have found 83...
Forum: Astronomy Misc February 13th 19, 09:54 PM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Steve Willner
General Cosmology: universal expansion as an illusion of changing spatial curvature

In article ,
(Eric Flesch) writes:
I've never yet seen calculations done onto evolving spatial curvature.

Doesn't the Friedman equation say how...
Forum: Research February 5th 19, 04:50 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
What does it mean in astrophysics for X-rays to be reflected?

In article ,
Eric Flesch writes:
As to whether elastic scattering of any sort yields the "same" photon,
I suspect that you're right and that...
Forum: Research February 5th 19, 04:50 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
LIGO sensitivity compared with the human eye

In article ,
Jos Bergervoet writes:
Recently in another newsgroup (nl.wetenschap) the question
came up of LIGO's sensitivity compared...
Forum: Research February 5th 19, 04:44 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Cosmological Problems

I wrote:
In practice, the term
"visible" often refers to light detectable by instrumentation
suitable for visible light, say from 300 nm (the atmospheric cutoff)
to 1000 nm (the...
Forum: Astronomy Misc February 4th 19, 11:21 PM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Steve Willner
General Cosmology: universal expansion as an illusion of changing spatial curvature

In article ,
(Eric Flesch) writes:
The current Standard model is underpinned by the "flat universe",
a spatial manifold of zero curvature with...
Forum: Research January 2nd 19, 08:09 AM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Cosmological Problems

In article ,
(Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:
Visible light is about 0.4 to 0.7 microns (400 to 700 nm (nanometers),

That...
Forum: Astronomy Misc December 31st 18, 10:23 PM Posted to sci.astro
Posted By Steve Willner
No Alien Visits Ever

In article ,
writes:
A very good reason why we're never visited by any aliens :

Distances between stars are way too...
Forum: Research December 17th 18, 09:54 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
Cosmological Problems

[Moderator's note: The James Webb Space Telescope is more like a
traditional telescope in space, the successor to HST in some sense, but
with more emphasis on the infrared.

JWST wavelength...
Forum: Research December 11th 18, 10:26 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
dark matter hypothesis

In article ,
Jos Bergervoet writes:
If they oscillate up and down the plane, then each time they go through
the plane and traverse the...
Forum: Research December 8th 18, 07:38 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
dark matter hypothesis

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:
A Unifying Theory of Dark Energy and Dark Matter: Negative Masses and
Matter Creation within a...
Forum: Research December 8th 18, 07:38 PM Posted to sci.astro.research
Posted By Steve Willner
dark matter hypothesis

In article ,
jacobnavia writes:
IF the halo is spherical THEN the study is right.

If the halo is NOT spherical but follows the plane of...